Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dave24meyers
Helper I
Helper I

I just updated PowerBI desktop and now all visuals don't work

Hello, 

I just udpated POwerBI from a 2019 version to most recent 2021 version. I published 1 dataset and connect to that published dataset for my other reports. 

I can create viuals in the data dataset, but unable to create any in my reports. 

What am i missing?

13 REPLIES 13
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dave24meyers 

The dataset you connected to is published before, right? Do you mean if you create a new report with the new version Power BI Desktop and connect to this dataset as data source, you can create visuals successfully? But when you open old reports with the new version Power BI Desktop, the visuals don't work and you cannot add new visuals in these old reports? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

I created 'Data' Dataset and published. I created 'MyCareerMatters' report that got data from 'Data'. It worked on Thursday. On Friday, it didn't, only change (I'm aware of)  is my desktop app was upgraded to newest version. 

Now: 'Data' can create visuals in it. However ' MyCareerMatters' report that is linked to 'Data' pulls errors on EVERY visualization. Even new visuals. 

I replicated. I made a new Data set. I created a new report to link to it. Same issue. 

Hi @dave24meyers 

Please create a new blank report (.pbix file) and connect to your 'Data' dataset to test if you can get data from the dataset in a new report. Do not create a new dataset. 

Jing

Created. Still recieved an error:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-09-29T03:32:00.6539425Z

Local Time:
2021-09-28T20:32:00.6539425-07:00

Session ID:
b90ad413-2e27-4380-b7c1-044401e2227d

Release:
September 2021

Product Version:
2.97.801.0 (21.09) (x64)

Error Message:
{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528049]

Peak Virtual Memory:
98.2 GB

Private Memory:
672 MB

Peak Working Set:
879 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
5f84231c-40f1-4248-892a-ef1d1ad6f4c8

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

AS Live Connection:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\Dave.Meyers\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_rdlNativeVisual

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_enableWebView2

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

Can you connect to other published dataset to create visuals in the new report? You cannot get data from any dataset now? 

Correct. I was able to 'connect' to the published dataset but unable to retrieve data for visuals. 

Hi @dave24meyers 

Not sure if this would help but you may have a try. Go to File > Options and settings > Options > Global > Data Load > Data Cache Management Options, Clear cache. Then sign out your account on Power BI Desktop and close it. Relaunch Power BI Desktop, go to Data source settings and clear all permissions there.  Then sign in your account again and connect to the dataset. See if you can get data for visuals. Please test this in a new blank report. 

If this still doesn't work, there is a newer version published on Sept 28th, you may try it.  Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop

If you want to try reversing back to a historical version, you could get it from Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service

Best regards,

Jing

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dave24meyers what is the exact error? Can you share the error details?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Here's the error. I created a new file (Data OCT), mapped my connections. published to (Data). Created new report that used (Data OCT) for data, saved to a 2nd workspace.  Still got errors. - Unable to populate any visuals.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-09-27T17:34:43.0425850Z

Local Time:
2021-09-27T10:34:43.0425850-07:00

Session ID:
a7475558-a107-4d2f-a981-9bf0627e4cb3

Release:
September 2021

Product Version:
2.97.801.0 (21.09) (x64)

Error Message:
{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528049]

Peak Virtual Memory:
98.5 GB

Private Memory:
590 MB

Peak Working Set:
751 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
5f84231c-40f1-4248-892a-ef1d1ad6f4c8

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

AS Live Connection:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\Dave.Meyers\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_rdlNativeVisual

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_enableWebView2

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dave24meyers very hard to say why this would be. Were you able to use the same dataset prior to Power BI Update?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Yes, I was able to use "Data Set 1" on multiple reports by connecting to the published "Data Set 1". Now on my multiple reports, I move a Visualization over to my page but when I add feilds to it, the visualization erros out. 

I am still able to create visualizations with data in 'Data Set 1'

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dave24meyers what do you mean you cannot create visuals? It is pretty common and done many times, not sure if I understood your question.

Good catch. I had visuals created and working. Now, every visual is unable to be displayed. I try to create new visuals but unable to get data in even though its says 'connected live to the PowerBI dataset:Data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.