Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LarsPW
Frequent Visitor

How to update existing dashboard with new data from updated dataset?

Hi!

I've created a report from a Dataset:

LarsPW_0-1681907209015.png

This Dataset is connected to our CRM and it is hosted by our CRM-vendor thus I do not have direct access to the query i.e I cant edit in the query since the Dataset is connected to the CRM and only the our vendor has acess.

I've came up with a "work around solution" since I needed to edit the query, and the solution is to Download the Dataset to my desktop, and thus use BI-desktop i.e the Dataset is save as PowerBI file and from there I can edit/add to query

LarsPW_1-1681907661536.png

So to my question, I want to update my report with the latest data, and insted of download a updated dataset from our vendor and create a new Report, I wonder if its possible to just download a updated Dataset and somhow, add this to the existing report? I've tried using Edit query, but it seems that you cant upload a power BI file/report as a new source (only Excel,SQL etc)

Can this be done or do I have to create a new report?

3 REPLIES 3
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LarsPW ,

You can refresh the dataset, download the PBIX file, open the PBIX file in Power BI Desktop, modify it, and then upload it to the appropriate workspace, you can choose to overwrite the original report or create a new report.

For dashboards, if you pin the entire report page as a dashboard, you replace the old report after updating the report in desktop, and the dashboard will be automatically updated. If you're pinning a single visual as a tile, you'll need to recreate the dashboard.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Publish from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

But if I download a new PBIX file, I need to re-create all of the visuals again right? or what do you mean by "modify it"? 

that's a process I want to avoid

Hi @LarsPW ,

If you download pbix from a dataset/report, the rendered report after opening it in Desktop renders the same as the report in the service (not blank).
If you don't need to modify the visuals on the report, you only need the report to display the latest data, then you don't need to download PBIX, you only need to refresh on the service.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.