Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to update a Desktop PBIX with ALM Toolkit

Does ALM Toolkit work with PBIX files?

I've created a very simple source file with one table and an empty target file, and I get an error message saying ALM Toolkit can't create tables in Power BI Desktop files

Perhaps it's that simple - but I thought that the integration of ALM Toolkit with Power BI Desktop was because it was made compatible with PBIX

Where have I gone wrong?

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Kpham
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have the same issue. I found a thread about this on github:
Unable to create table because target is power BI desktop or pbit which does not yet support modification of this type · Issue #89 · microsoft/Analysis-Services (github.com)

and at this moment I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make it work or that I need to wait for the developers of ALM toolkit to make it possible

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for my late reply.

There's a blog which might be helpful to solve your problem:

https://powerbi.tips/2020/04/get-to-know-alm-toolkit/

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - you're right, it's there

ALM Toolkit doesn't work (e.g. merging differences) if you're on Power BI Pro, you need to have Premium

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Hi guys, i have same question. I m trying to migrate SSAS Tabular model to Power BI desktop with ALM Toolkit: Source SSAS Tab and target Power BI Desktop instance : 

PBI Desktop: localhost:64693;test

=> test is empty pbix

i got thir error : 

The target is a Power BI Desktop dataset with default data-source version of PowerBI_V1, which is not supported for comparison. Please Ensure you're using the latest version of Power BI desktop and if necessary enable the preview feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, you didn't answer the question

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.