Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RickOShay
Frequent Visitor

How to stack datasets so that I can get Month over Month type of data?

Hi,

I'm very new to Power BI. I have built a report in another system that generates an excel output and have that going into Power BI as a dataset. This report provides current daily information (for example daily balances). Everytime a refresh occurs, it appears that it basically just overrides the existing data with the most current data, which is good, but what I want to do is have that data stack so that eventually I could generate reports to compare month over month, year over year etc...

How do I get data coming in to be retained so that I can keep a history and build historical data rather than just override with fresh daily data?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
RickOShay
Frequent Visitor

Still looking for a way to do this. Would involving Azure provide any solution to what I am looking to do here?

RickOShay
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I posted this awhile ago and didn't really get any information that would help me do what I am looking for. If I have a report that refreshes each day with new data, is there any way that I have have that data archive into PowerBI? For example if data refreshed today, but I wanted to pull up data from the begining of the month (03/01/2023) how would I do that? 

Thanks,

I'm still looking for a solid answer to this question, as I have not found one that provides a clear answer if PowerBI can do this.

Hi,

Thanks. I will take a look at those resources you provided.

Am I correct in thinking that Incremental Refresh does what I am requesting? After doing some research earlier, I originally thought that it did, but then I thought I read somehwere else that it was primarily used in instances where you have a very large report and only want to refresh from parts of the data rather than a bunch of data that might remain static.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.