Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sb19999
Frequent Visitor

How to set datasource value on a parameter from Powerbi URL

Hello

I have two tables with same schema ( Table 1 and Table 2)

I have modified Table 2 'Navigation' steps as '= Source{[Schema="dbo",Item=DataSourceParam]}[Data]' where DataSourceParam is the parameter. 

What I am expecting to achieve is, if I pass DataSourceParam = Table1, then my visuals should load data from Table 1 and if I pass DataSourceParam = Table2, visuals will reflect Table 2 data. 

Now this is already achieved if I manually change the parameter value from PowerBI Desktop > Power Query Editor.

But the ask is to do it from Powerbi published report URL.

Please help!!!

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak : This is not helping. I need to provide parameter value from power bi service not from desktop.

Hi @sb19999 ,

Does you review and edit parameters in the tab for Datasets?

image.png

For more information, please refer to Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-kkf-msft Changing parameter value from Dataset settings each time I want to switch to a different dataset is a manual task and is not the solution.

The business problem here is, switching between datasets having same schema on runtime. Something that I can feed into my powerbi url and it will generate the visuals with the data set. like query parameters which I tried to use (it filters on the visuals but not able to set data source with query parameters)

@sb19999 Were you able to figure this out?

Thanks!

We did it through azure functions using power bi API to update parameter.

Hi, care to share abit more details about the solution here?

Having the same scenario where I want to set db schema (a parameter) based on the logged in user. I can do it manually now and the reports/data sets are updated accordingly, but I need the to be set when the usr logs in.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.