Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to separate reports built on a single dataset

Hi Experts

I have a report of 20 Tabs built on top of a dataset.

I was asked by the business to separate the reports based on the category.

I tried taking 4 copies of the original report and deleted the unwated reports for all 4 category and retained the required set of tabs in each report with a unique name. When I published the report. I could see duplicate dataset for each report.

My understanding is that, the multiple dataset requires me to maintain RLS for each dataset separately, occupy more storage space for the duplicate data load and also refresh the data for dataset. Which is increasing my maintenance job.

Please can someone suggest me what is the best practice to separate the reports which are built on a single dataset without creating the duplicate of dataset.

Thanks
Mahad

1 REPLY 1
AbbasG
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous As per my understanding, you can create a data flow and use it for all different reports. Creating a data flow will not duplicate your data load.

However, you have to create RLS separately(RLS is not available for dataflows) and refresh each dataset (You can schedule it automatically).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.