Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to replace Data Source for existing report?

how can i replace data source for existing report?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Great! Glad it helped you, @Anonymous.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked flawless for me!

Thanks a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked. Thanks 

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Did you follow the steps exactly? Did you receive an error? I've done this several times now, always with success. Are all the column names the same? If a column name is different, the existing expressions using the different names will not automatically connect to the new data.

SandySharma
Resolver I
Resolver I

HI Gurus,

I have one report which is developed using Excel now I want to switch from Excel to MS-SQL. How can I replace the source as the steps suggested below is only for the same source. What about the cross data bases like Excel and SQL.

Read this article http://www.decisivedata.net/blog/change-a-power-bi-data-source-type this shows you how to do the change from Excel to SQL Server or to any other type. I tested it and it works fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are amazing! 

You solve my problem in a couple of seconds!

COOOL! Greate!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's actually the same file but saved under difference place, how can i change/replace data source for current report?

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt,

I have one static Excel as my source file at the momement but it will need a monthly update soon. I have DAX and new measures/caculated columns in it already.

Can you please advise whether it is possible to only update the original worksheet with no impact on the modified part?

Thanks,

Jing

I don't really understand what you are asking.  Are you saying the source data is in the same Excel file as a Power Pivot report?  If so, you should separate these out into a source file and a report file.  That is best practice

Hi Matt,

My current source file is the Excel file, I created charts based on the file to present in the PBI, lots DAX, measures added onto the original Excel. But from next month, I will need to download the latest version of the EXCEL, data in the excel will be growing, from another app on a monthly basis to reflect the new data coming into the PBI. 

My question is, how do I update the content in my existing Excel source file without touching the DAX, measures etc? If I just append, data will be duplicated, correct?

Thanks very much for your time answering my question! Much appreciated.

Regards,

Jing

Something is wrong here, and I don't know what.  You are saying you are presenting the results in Power BI but you also say that you are adding DAX in Excel.  I can't reconcile these 2 things, surely it is one or the other. 

If you have a growing source file in Excel, and each month it grows, then you can either rename the new file to the same name as the old file, or you can simply load the latest version of the file from a folder.  I cover that here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2n5ApJZwL8   

Anonymous
Not applicable

We went into Edit Queries and clicked on Data Source settings and we were able to change the SSAS sever name. 

Someone change the name in table that I import from a database. I tried the option that you mentioned but this only function from Browser. Do you know if it is possible to change the source inside a document - similar to function "Edit Links" from excel?

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There is a solution actually. if you go to ‘Transform data’ and ‘Advanced Editor’ so you can change the sql statement of the data source, you can replace the file name with a new one, which means you can change the data source.

Regards 

Charlotte

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found it's easy to go 'Edit Queries', then at your 'applied steps' double click 'Source' to browse and re-select the file. 

CRM.PNG

Can we Switch from SQL Server to Oarcle or an EXCEL? The reason, When I tried to change Source in the Source window gives SQL Server database, which is currently being used and can change to another  SQL Server database but not an excel or other Database.

and similarly When I tried to  Switch from  EXCEL based Power BI to SQL Server database ,it gives Source window gives EXCEL file path.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

Hi Ankit. There's a detail I want to confirm. I have 8 different tables in my report, all of which have storage mode as DirectQuery. So my question is - if I change the Data source using File Menu --> Data Source Settings, will the change apply to ALL the DirectQueries ?

P.S. : If it helps, I am simply trying to change the source DB from UAT to Production.

Hi.

I am trying to change my source from local tsv to a url tsv. 

I see in editing source i can change the file but it seems I'm not able to change to a URL (as I am able in the initial get data window).

*not able to download too large for HD

*Recreating the query and subsequent table edits would be .. not ideal.

= really hoping to seamlessly point the existing steps + report to a URL source instead of current local file upload:)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.