Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Esbee
Frequent Visitor

How to navigate to another tab by clicking on one column chart?

Hello,

Ik have a column chart in a page of my PowerBI report. This responds to some slicers, and that's the reason why the number of columns and which columns are presented are changing.

What I want is that by clicking (once or double?) on a column in the visual another tab opens with more information about dat specific item. Otherwise colleages have to filter in the other tab the specific item again. Not very user friendly 😉

I tried to do something with the analyze function and making measures, but it doesn't work. 

I have to say that the report is based on an Excel import and the values on the x- and y-axis are at this moment not measures.

Hopefully someone can help me 🙂

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Stéphanie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Esbee 

You can use Drill through. You can learn more about it here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough

You create a hidden tab with what you want to see. When you right click on a bar in the chart, the drill through option appears and you choose the tab you created. The Drill through will take all filters that are set on the tab you are drilling from.

Thanks

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Esbee, if your only issue is absence of seleced filters on another report page, simply copy required filters from intial page, then copy them to a result page. PowerBI will automatically ask if you want to syncronyze them:

Sergii24_0-1694678734892.png

When filters are syncronyzed a selection from the intial page will be immediatelly reflected at the result page as well.

You can access syncronyzation panel from here:

Sergii24_1-1694680513347.png

Good luck! 🙂

Thank you very much for your answer. This is always a good option and I nice trick, but the downdrill option is what I exactly needed... 🙂

JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Esbee 

You can use Drill through. You can learn more about it here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough

You create a hidden tab with what you want to see. When you right click on a bar in the chart, the drill through option appears and you choose the tab you created. The Drill through will take all filters that are set on the tab you are drilling from.

Thanks

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution

Hi @JoeBarry 

This is what I needed. I forgot to include the variable in the destination tab. Now I also add a drill through button to make it more easy.

But... It would be perfect when in de destination tab with the detail information people can also use the slicers to select another item (in stead of the filter menu on the right of the canvas). Do you know if that's possible? Otherwise the have to navigate back to the main page every time or use the filter menu, wich is not that easy to find for PowerBI 'dummies'... 

I haven't really had a use case like that before, but why not add the Slicers you have in the Source page to the Drill through page. They will filter on top of what the Drill through has already filtered. 

I managed to add a slicer without any drill trough fields. Problem solved.

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors