Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

molegris
Advocate III
Advocate III

How to narrow down selection with visual filters

Hi,

I feel like my usecase is pretty simple yet I cant find any information about how I can do it.  Basically, I want to use the visual-filter feature to tell a story in 3 viz by narrowing down the selection twice. 

As I explain in the picture below, everything breaks when the user selects a course. 
VizA reset, VizB is not filtered anymore, and vizC disregards any filters previous applied to YEAR(s).

Report design and desired behaviorReport design and desired behavior

I read a post where someone suggest using the drill through feature but I'd hate to send the user to a new page... I think those 3 viz fits very well in that single page.

Q1. Is it working as expected or I'm doing something wrong here?

Q2. If that's the way it's supposed to work, do you have any suggestion to accomplish what I'm trying to do... other than drilling through an other page?

Thank you

--mo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @molegris ,

To have a cross filtering between several visualizations and don't loose the previous value you need to use the CTRL + click that will keep the values you need.

CTRL+click.gif

Believe that the best option would be to have some slicer on your report but using the interactions between your visualizations you must use the CTRL. you may need to had a tooltip informing the users of that.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @molegris ,

To have a cross filtering between several visualizations and don't loose the previous value you need to use the CTRL + click that will keep the values you need.

CTRL+click.gif

Believe that the best option would be to have some slicer on your report but using the interactions between your visualizations you must use the CTRL. you may need to had a tooltip informing the users of that.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix ,

Thanks for your answer.  I didn't realize you can use Ctrl+click... though I think it's not very intuitive and would be a bad UX.  I hope they will eventually add the option to set Ctrl+click behavior as default.

I guess for now I'll rethink the UI to use slicers or drillthrough, yet I'm not a big fan of slicers for a long list of long names 😕 .

Thanks again, have a nice day

--mo

Hi @molegris ,

Understand what you are saying but it's a "normal" behaviour in other apps that when you want to select more that one value you use CTRL (on the computer) but agree that maybe for the majority of the users is not intuitive.

Regarding the options to do this I believe it depends on the way you are setting up things. I have a drilltrough setup that the persons don't even realize that they are getting redirected to another page because I have made a copy of the page and hide it on the report pages, so people can only get in there by using the drill trough that is made by a button.

Just giving options.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.