Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to improve speed performance of Power BI?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what are the best ways to optimize the speed performance of Power BI? In concrete terms, I have millions of lines, hundreds of measures, and around fifty tables used to create my reports. When I want to update my data, it usually takes 5 minutes, but it can go up to 30 minutes.

In my tables, I have many columns that are not useful, however these columns have been used to aggregate/merge data, set conditions etc... but are not actually used in the reports. I think I can delete some. Therefore, I was wondering, if I removed them, would it really increase the performance of Power BI?

Apart from deleting unnecessary measures, columns and tables, are there other ways to improve the speed of Power BI?

Kind regards,
Endrri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thank you for your answer. I will check these tips 🙂

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Well, you could use Premium to get dedicated capacity, that would probably help stabilize your refresh times. Would have to see the Power Query to optimize that. Could use Direct Query potentially with aggregation tables, no need to refresh. You might have measure calculation issues, would need to see the DAX. Kind of a broad question. Yes, removing calculated columns would help.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Thank you for your answer. I understand what you're saying and indeed, it is a very general question. I will probably review my DAX measures in order to optimize the calculations. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.