Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markusv
Frequent Visitor

How to get customers first time buying a product in product category?

Hello

There is a promotion in our store to get customers to buy products in certain product categories. I want to know how many customers bought these product categories during period selected by slicers and which sales agents were successful in persuading the customers to try new product categories for first time. New customers who are making their first purchase do not count, they have to be regulars trying the product categories for first time.

I have these tables:

invoices table with id, date, customer id, sales agent id,

invoice rows table with id, invoice id, product id, relation is invoice id to invoices table id,

customers table with id, name, relation is id to invoices table customer id,

product category table with product id, category id, relation is product id to invoice rows table product id

sales agents table with id, name, relation is id to invoices table sales agent id

Slicer by date is using inoices tables date.

I have been trying things for half a day but I am new to Power BI and nothing has worked.

I tried to divide the task to smaller chunks at first: get first invoice date for customer ever, then get first invoice date for product categories, then make column which returns 1 if first invoice date for customer is not the same as first invoice date for the product category and the first time customer bought the product category is between min and max date of dates slicer.

I only achieved getting the first ever invoice date for customer like this: CALCULATE(MIN(Invoices[Date])), this works.

Then I wanted to get minimum date for category like this: 

CALCULATE(
   MIN(Invoices[Date]),
      FILTER('Product category', 'Product category'[ category id] IN {435, 436, 437, 438}
   )
)
this does not work, it returns always the same value as the first one.

Any ideas how to approach this problem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@markusv , you have to follow the approach in this blog

Customer Retention Part 5: LTD Vs Period Retention
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-5-LTD-and-PeriodYoY-Retentio...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.