Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrChubbs

How to filter across multiple columns?

I am fairly inexperienced in BI and am looking to create a single filter visual that contains each of the below food items that can be found in a Cart. The goal is to be able to see the total occurrence of specific food items across all carts and also see which cart contains which items. (How many carts have apples? Which carts have grapes?) The amount of a specific food item in a single cart is not needed, nor the various kinds of one item matter (apple_large vs apple_small), only the occurrence of it.

The problem I'm running into is there are multiple food items per cart and sometimes an item is duplicated across both Groceries columns or has a slight variance to it (apple_small vs apple_large). I've tried using their delimiter to separate them into more Groceries columns, but that leaves me still with duplicates and variances

CartsGroceries 1Groceries 2
1apple_small, banana, carrotavocado, apple_large
2grape, avocado_largebanana, apple, avocado_small
3avocadogrape, carrot
4banana, apple_largeapple
5carrot, bananagrape, carrot, avacado

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DOLEARY85
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

i think the best solution would be to combine the items of all grocery columns in power query to create a new column, remove the "_" and any words such as large, small then use this field a your slicer,

If that doesn't work i'm happy to take a look if you have a pbix file

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DOLEARY85
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

i think the best solution would be to combine the items of all grocery columns in power query to create a new column, remove the "_" and any words such as large, small then use this field a your slicer,

If that doesn't work i'm happy to take a look if you have a pbix file

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.