Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bertenvanloover
Frequent Visitor

How to filter/Drill-through on column value on same page

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to do the following: when a user clicks on a row of table1 he'd get a filtered overview of all statusupdates in table2 of that filename on the same page. This way the user can analyse why a certain statusupdate took so long.

The issue I have is that table2, logically, only shows that specific statusupdate of table1.

Table1 shows the statusupdates that had the longest waiting time (does not have to be table, as long as you can clearly spot the top10 files), Table2 is then used to show all the details of that file.

Table1

MonthFilenameWaiting time statusupdate (days) (Z-A)
March12311
March45610
February7899
March1238
January9997

Table2 (to be situation when user selects the first row with 123 in it)

FilenameDate (Z-A)StatusupdateWaiting time statusupdate (days)
123March 10Approved8
123March 9Send for Approval11
123February 8Editing2
123February 6Initiated1

what I see as Table2

FilenameDateStatusupdateWaiting time statusupdate (days)
123March 9Send for Approval11

I've been looking around, though I did not find the process and I presume it is fairly straightforward?

Thanks a lot!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

how are you joining the data between the tables?

my suggestion and this is the best way to model transactional data in different tables..

create a new table call file and in that put all the unique filenames.  No duplicates

then join both table 1 and 2 to that table.. see attached, you then need a slicer to select the file name

there is another way to do it but this is probably the best practise way.  

the other way is you can create a bidirectional relationship betwen the filename table and table 2 and then if you click on the table1 it filters table2 but its not recommended to use bidirectional relationships unless you understand the implications.  In order to filter by filename only you need to provide that as the filter context, filtering by the row will not filter the filename only, it will only use the row context to filter.  this is why modelling this data properly is important.

see file attached.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

how are you joining the data between the tables?

my suggestion and this is the best way to model transactional data in different tables..

create a new table call file and in that put all the unique filenames.  No duplicates

then join both table 1 and 2 to that table.. see attached, you then need a slicer to select the file name

there is another way to do it but this is probably the best practise way.  

the other way is you can create a bidirectional relationship betwen the filename table and table 2 and then if you click on the table1 it filters table2 but its not recommended to use bidirectional relationships unless you understand the implications.  In order to filter by filename only you need to provide that as the filter context, filtering by the row will not filter the filename only, it will only use the row context to filter.  this is why modelling this data properly is important.

see file attached.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi Vanessa, since my report contains >10.000 files the added filter doesn't really work that smoothly. 
What implications am I missing on the bedirectional relationship? Also I don't think I can use this since these tables are just a visualisation on the Report tab and therefore are not present in the Model tab.

Also both tables are made out of the exact same data. Table1 is just a summarized version of Table2 to give the user an overview of highest waiting times. Thus Filename of Table1 is the exact same datapoint as Filename in Table2..

ok so you have then not given enough information to provide you the correct solution.

The key thing is in order to do what you need to do, you need to model this data correctly, all answers lie in how you are modelling the data.    

please provide a proper explanation of what you are trying to achieve, with a copy of what your model looks like and an example of what you are trying to achieve.

Hi Vanessa, while building a sample report from scratch I noticed that the sample did do what I wanted it to do. So now I learned to that a page filter was obstructing this procedure. So luckily it is solved, unfortunately it was my own mistake. Have a nice weekend

glad you could resolve this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.