Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ckotak20
Frequent Visitor

How to create dynamic groups for legend in map component visual?

I am displaying a map with some company names and their count

I have the names of companies to be categorized in groups like Platinum, Bronze, Gold

For eg:

Group 1 - Company A, B, C in the Platinum category

Group 2 -Company D, E, F in Gold Category

This company list can vary, hence I want to create a dynamic group for the Map legends display.

Since legend is 5 different  groups of those company names

Under legend in the map component, there is only a manual option to create groups.

Any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, did you manage to do what you wanted? I have exactly the same doubt you posted.

Best regards.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ckotak20 , 

I am not clear about your requirement, what did you mean of "dynamic groups for legend"?  Could yo please explain this to me in details?  As I know, we need to create group manually.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ckotak20
Frequent Visitor

Sure, I'll explain in detail @Zoé . Thanks for your response.

I have a table query with fields as :

1. Company Name
  2. Company ID
  3. Loc Details i.e Latitude
  4. Longitude
  5. Radius
  6. Count of a measure (Listing Count)

In order to represent this data I am using a map component for visualization.

In which the bubble size is the radius, the legend consists of company names which I have created a new group as name(groups)

The tooltips consist of listing count, name of the company in that respective group

Since on the map, I want the legend to be displayed as 5 different group types of companies with respective color schemes.

• Group 1 Platinum (Company A, B, C)
  • Group 2 Gold (Company D, E, F)
  • Group 3 Silver (Company X, Y, Z)
  • Group 4 Bronze (Company W)

The names of companies .i.e the companies are divided into groups, I get this information from a separate excel sheet which contains Tab1, tab2 as group 1, group 2, and so on.

So my map displays the 5 different color bubbles i.e company types

Eg 3 bubble silver  with respective company name ,x,y,z and count on tooltip

but further going company X1, X2 can be added to that silver group but how to automate, since group creation on the legend is manual

In order to represent these groups we can only manually create and assign groups on the legend on the map component.

every month that group values can change hence I want that legend to be dynamically updated.

Hence the question of can I have multiple legends or dynamic groups on a map legend?

Thanks for your help

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Seems like a job for a disconnected table trick but tough to be sure. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.