Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RogerSteinberg
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to create a button as a hyperlink for sending an email

Hi, 

How can i make a button a email hyperlink?

I know it is possible as a table visual and checking the URL feature in the format option.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MariaP
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @RogerSteinberg 

A  workaround:

You can add a textbox with an asterix, turn the asterix into windings font then turn that into a hyperlink where you can use mailto: 

Video here from Ruth at Curbal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEo_hO3iIM&list=PLDz00l_jz6zzttb28XH8GHZNL6vvpBlkQ&index=89

Windings.PNG

Cheers,
Maria

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
kampyy
Frequent Visitor

Is there any other way to add link other than using a text box, Reason we can't show a Tooltip on TextBox. 

Hi Kampyy,

You could just create a button and masterfully place it so your pop text can appear. Really depends on a lot of parameters though. I imagine you are hiding the email address to save space? and so the pop up reveals the actual somewhat long email address?

There is a HTML add-in - and my coleagues use it for numerous things, but no-one has tried to email using it, I see its been voted in the past.

My lastest attempt (email address changed for privacy lol) is this measure"

Email measure =
"<a href=mailto:my.email@us.com>Send Email</a>"

Looks like the app owners know of some limitations and perhaps this is one.... as I get "Cannot open web browser the link is malformed: mailto:my.email@us.com I've tried various html iterations of it which work fine on my web server - just not pbi.... 

Clinical_Epi
Advocate II
Advocate II

To save those who dont want ot watch a video...

1) insert a text box

2) change font to "WINGDINGS"

3) click on the "insert link" icon - (looks a bit like a paper clip)

4) type your email as: mailto:myemail@mailbox.com

5) click done

6) edit your text to say "Contact us:" or something meaningful.

7) In Power Bi Report Server (Jan 2021 ver) I found it only tested in the users front end. I couldnt click on "ctrl+link" to test, which gave me the impression it wasnt going to work - but it does work fine.

best of luck

i have done this and it worked very well for me and several users.  however, some users reported  that instead of opening their outlook email - it opened their email in webbrowser instead of their desktop and others reported just getting a webpage - but not actual email.

Do you know if any settings need to be in place on a users computer so that this type of hyperlink works for them?

Hi yes,

Not sure what operating system you are using but I'm using windows 11 and have set the default mail application as Microsoft Outlook. Also I make sure Outlook is open otherwise yes it will open a webpage as it doesn't know which is the 'open' mail application.

Simple solution and hope it works well.

(PS: to find the default application settings to specify which is the default, just type "Default apps" in the box next to your start icon that normally syas "Type here to search". [in some desktop configurations its the magnifying glass" that you click on  and then type "default apps".] ) 

default_mail_app.png

Hello,

But what if end users of the report do not have outlook as a default?
Can I somehow force it to only ope outlook?

That helps!  Thank you !   

MariaP
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @RogerSteinberg 

A  workaround:

You can add a textbox with an asterix, turn the asterix into windings font then turn that into a hyperlink where you can use mailto: 

Video here from Ruth at Curbal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEo_hO3iIM&list=PLDz00l_jz6zzttb28XH8GHZNL6vvpBlkQ&index=89

Windings.PNG

Cheers,
Maria

i have done this and it worked very well for me and several users.  however, some users reported  that instead of opening their outlook email - it opened their email in webbrowser instead of their desktop and others reported just getting a webpage - but not actual email.

Do you know if any settings need to be in place on a users computer so that this type of hyperlink works for them?

Thanks. It works. Only question I have is: Can we populate the "Subject line" of an email?

Hi - I guess Power Bi has its restrictions, it would be good if there was a HTML option so we could add extra functionality using code, HTML is a good example where if MS added this into Power BI more people would take up the product.

Another pet peeve of mine right now is getting all Months to show in a Trend line (graph line visual) - plenty of options for avg or var lines, but when using a trend line our options are limited...

I figured it out. You need to put ? and then subject. It needs to be like this:

mailto:abc@xyz.com?subject=What ever you want to put

Thanks,

Ritesh

Hello,
Do you know any solution so after clicking the mail hyperlink icon it will outomatically put CC: also?

mailto:abc@xyz.com?subject=What Thanks for this btw. But also can It put cc?

Regards,
Nick

Hi, thats a great solution, nice one 🙂

We were going to use the HTML add-on, but this looks easier imo 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RogerSteinberg,

Currenly there are only 3 actions available with button: back, bookmark, and Q&A. Perhaps email option will be added into future update of Power BI Desktop. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.