Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rakel
Frequent Visitor

How to count number of months with data

Hello,

I need some help to write a DAX formula to be able to count how many rows there are for each pair (customer, year) without taking into account the context filters. 

An example of data are these (table1):

id_customer  Year  month

So, for this example I need a measure to count how many records there are for customer 1 in the year 2022 (4), how many for customer 1, year 2023(2) , how many for customer 2, year 2023 (1), and how many for customer 3, year 2023 (3). 

The difficult point for me is that there are some filter which are filtering the month, so my measure is always retrieving 1. I have tried to remove this using a calculate formula but it is not working.

number of months with data = calculate(countrows(table1),allexcept(table1,table1[year],table1[id_customer])) 

Can someone explain me why is not working and how I can fix it? 

Thanks in advance,
 R.
4 REPLIES 4
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The DAX formula you provided is almost correct. However, instead of using "ALLEXCEPT", you should use "VALUES" to preserve the filters on the "Month" column. Here is the corrected formula:

number of months with data = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(table1), VALUES(table1[id_customer]), VALUES(table1[Year]))

This formula will count the number of rows in "table1" for each combination of "id_customer" and "Year", without taking into account any filters applied to the "Month" column. The "VALUES" function is used to preserve the filters on the other columns while removing any filters on the "Month" column.

Hello @Adamboer 

thank you very much for your answer. I am afraid I didn't explain it correctly as the formula is taking into account the month.

If I filter the year and the id_customer, it is working properly. But, if I add the month, it is also taken into account. That's exactly what I want to avoid.  I have added a card to show the value of the measure. Look at below examples:

filters and measure.png

Best regards,

Rakel

Arul
Super User
Super User

@Rakel ,

In which visual do you need to show?

Thanks,

Arul

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

Rakel
Frequent Visitor

Hello @Arul,

Thanks for answering my question. This measure will be part of a formula I need. For "debugging" I am now adding it on a card.

Thanks,

Rakel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.