Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to combine Summarize (GroupBy), Min Date and filter the rest of the Data?

Hello guys, 

I have the below set of data on my primary table "Table1"

Cat1Cat2Cat3InputDateUsername
AABABC1/1/2019USER1
AABABC5/1/2019USERA
AABABC10/1/2019USERB
XXBXBC1/2/2019USER2
XXBXBC5/2/2019USERX
XXBXBC10/2/2019USER3
XXBXBC15/2/2019USER4
XXBXBC20/2/2019USERY
YYBYBC1/3/2019USER3
YYBYBC5/3/2019USERY
YYBYBC10/3/2019USERB

And I want to make a new table that will keep only these lines that have the earliest Input Date from every set of Cat1/Cat2/Cat3.

So I want to have the above result

Cat1Cat2Cat3InputDateUsername
AABABC1/1/2019USER1
XXBXBC1/2/2019USER2
YYBYBC1/3/2019USER3

What I have to until now:

New Table = SUMMARIZE('Table1';'Table1'[Ca1];'Table1'[Cat2];'Table1'[Cat3];"Min_Input_Date";min(''Table1'[InputDate]))

And my results are:

Cat1Cat2Cat3InputDate
AABABC1/1/2019
XXBXBC1/2/2019
YYBYBC1/3/2019

So when I try to bring also the appropriate Username from the line of the earliest Input Date I get confused.

I tryed some Filter fuctions after my research here but I didn't get any results. 

Can you help me please?

P.S I know how to do it with Power Query Editor.

Nevertheless, I need this new table (filtering) to be produced evertime I change the Input Date filters, (to look like something "Live", in terms of Input Date data) and then connect (create a relationship) this new "Earliest" input date Dimention with original Input date dimention and "charge" the earliest Username for every Cat1/Cat2/Cat3 sequence for the specific Input dates I choose every time.

Thanks In Advance guys!!!

I know you won't let me down!!

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Nevertheless, I need this new table (filtering) to be produced evertime I change the Input Date filters, (to look like something "Live", in terms of Input Date data) and then connect (create a relationship) this new "Earliest" input date Dimention with original Input date dimention and "charge" the earliest Username for every Cat1/Cat2/Cat3 sequence for the specific Input dates I choose every time.

So a calculated table will not work this way. Caculated tables only update when you refresh your data, they do not change with changes to filters or slicers (they behave the same as a table built using Power Query). If I understand what you want correctly the way to achieve what you want would be to create a measure to get the min date and the user on the min date. 

The min date measure is simple

Min Date = MIN( 'Table'[InputDate])

Then you just want to get the user for the min date which you could do with the following (I'm just using the MIN() over the user name as a safety mechanism in case there are multiple users on the one date)

Min Date User = 
var _minDate = [Min Date]
RETURN CALCULATE( MIN('Table'[Username]), 'Table'[inputDate] = _minDate)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear

If I get your answer correct, I created a new Table as

New Table = Summarize (table1;cat1;cat2;cat3;inputdate;username) (no min date, just a simple groupby)

and then on that new table with all my grouped data, I created the measure min date (following your instructions) and then the variable Min Date User.

So now practicaly I have two measure extra in my new table.

Now the problem is that when I try to create a relationship between cat1 (initial table1) and cat1 (new table) in order to make a simple Table (visualisation) with Table1[Cat1], Table1[Cat2], Table1[Cat3], New Table[Min Date User] it returns only the first [Min Date User] that finds in the whole Table1, and not the [Min Date User] value for every Cat1, Cat2, Cat3 sequence.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.