Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gpraveenonline
Frequent Visitor

How to add a Serial Number or Row Number Column in Power BI?

You can edit the table by "Edit Query" Option. Find the Add Index Column in the "Add Column" Tab. You can see now the new column is added at the last. Customize the column to rename it as "SNO" or "ROW NUM" or anything preferred.

Note: You can add from 0 or from 1.

You have a Row Number or Serial Number Column Ready.

Praveen Kumar G
Inatech
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@gpraveenonline

You can also add index column which starts from 1 directly as below.

How to add a Serial Number or Row Number Column in Power BI_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
efglynn
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I think there should be an easier solution -- like a check box that says add the line number to the visual.

That is for power bi modeling,not for live query. I am using live query and using database for tabular model.now on that model i have to create that serial no.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@gpraveenonline

You can also add index column which starts from 1 directly as below.

How to add a Serial Number or Row Number Column in Power BI_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi all, I have a calculated table for 365 dates starting April 01 20xx (using the Calendar DAX function). Now I need to add a column that simply puts a serial number for each row. The Edit Query only works for imported data...I am a newbie, obviously.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Perfect!  Exactly what I needed and it only takes a single click. Love it!

CmdrKeene

I came across this post and it is what i need.  However when I create the index column  ..  when I bring it into a table in BI, the number become a series of other numbers and not my 1, 2, 3, index that was created.  I have seen several places where they show you how to create the index column, but How do i use it in my BI Table????

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.