Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

parzival1220
Frequent Visitor

How to Approach .csv Files and Refreshing a Dataset

Hi there,

Please could I ask how best to approach a problem? I have a dataset from our IT service desk solution which comes from a third party, the dataset is a .csv. I have been asked to use this data to create some trends and measures. We cannot connect to this data directly and must import it into Power BI (by modifying the .csv directly). I need to ensure that we can add new data to this dataset and refresh it in Power BI. What I'm unsure about is how best to add new columns into this dataset, which will continue to function when I update the .csv. e.g. if I import the data then add new columns (datediffs etc.), will these autocalculcate when new data is added and the dashboard refereshed?

Many thanks in advance,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI does not write back to your csv files but will apply the same transformation steps each time you refresh and store those new columns in your model. As long as your csv keeps the same structure (same column names, etc.), it will continue to work each refresh.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parzival1220
Frequent Visitor

Much obliged, thanks 😀

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI does not write back to your csv files but will apply the same transformation steps each time you refresh and store those new columns in your model. As long as your csv keeps the same structure (same column names, etc.), it will continue to work each refresh.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.