Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

How do I change a query from Import to Direct Query?

I have a SQL Azure database that I can use Direct Query with for a new PBIX file. selecting the tables to load allows me to check the edit button and convert to Direct Query. However, I have previously created PBIX files that import the data. I can find no mechanism that will allow me to convert these queries to Direct Query mode. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

10 REPLIES 10

we have created a very complex report, are we serious that to change from import to direct we need to start a new report from scratch?? there must be another way, please advise as we are desperate 

thank you in advance

we have created a very complex report, are we serious that to change from import to direct we need to start a new report from scratch?? there must be another way, please advise as we are desperate 

thank you in advance

jaykilleen
Advocate II
Advocate II

Despite this being marked as 'solved' the real answer is "You can't".

theBIbutler
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

Did you ever get anywhere with this, got the same issue myself.....?

Cheers

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @theBIbutler and @diverdown1964, i had commented on this question in another thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Direct-Query-and-Enterprise-migrating-from-import/m-p/11922#...

Hope that helps.

BR

I know this thread is a little bit old, but for anyone looking to do this I was able to partially achieve this. It seems if you go into the Power BI Desktop Query editor, remove the old table and reimport it then when you apply the Dataset updates it will prompt you. It appears you need to re-add your relationships, but at least it's not starting from scratch.

Hi BR,

Thanks, I was fast coming to the same conclusion, I had the idea to copy the Advanced Editor code from the old file to the new direct query file and obviously started getting errors due to the transformations - makes sense just to start again and deal with the 'limitations' of the different connection type.

Cheers

Mark

The newish copy & paste functionality in the Query Editor doesnt work in this scenario.  Somehow it copies across the Import setting to a PIBX with existing Direct Query queries, even though the PQL code is identical (and doesnt break the Direct Query "rules").  There's no visible UI setting on the query to fix this.

I'm doing it by starting with a DQ query, then duplicating that and copying the name and PQL script from my Import model.  Finally I rebuild the Relationships.

It's frustrating - surely this was an obvious "use case" when DQ was introduced?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.