Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

amien
Helper IV
Helper IV

How can i concatenate two fact tables? Item 'field name' already exists in the collection.

i have 1 date table and two fact tables. I want to concatenate load both fact tables into one fact table. 

Thing is that both tables contain the same date field name (which is fine) and the idea is to link that field to the date table.

PowerBI comes with this message : Item 'field name' already exists in the collection. 

Thanks in advanced

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "drop the appended table".  I dont think you should delete any objects.

Perhaps what you are after is to go to the Query Settings / Properties / All Properties, then uncheck Enable load to report.

This will keep the Query definition, but not show it as a table in the various downstream views of the data model.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would start with 2 Queries - one for each Fact table. Then I would open 1 and add an Append step to add the data from the other Fact table as extra rows.

That step will automatically load each columns from both Fact tables into a single column, where the column names match exactly.  Unmatched columns will still be added, but values will be null for rows from the other Fact table.

Then you can define the relationship to the Date table, based on the result.

This works thanks!

is it now also possible to drop the appended table? cause it's not needed anymore

Or is it not possible to load and concatenate it at the same time? Cause now the same table is loaded twice right?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "drop the appended table".  I dont think you should delete any objects.

Perhaps what you are after is to go to the Query Settings / Properties / All Properties, then uncheck Enable load to report.

This will keep the Query definition, but not show it as a table in the various downstream views of the data model.  

Thanks... that did the job

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.