Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Karolina411
Resolver II
Resolver II

How can I manage correct counts for 3 different dates? - I can only create one relationship

so I am sure this must be common but I work w/ 3 dates to show appointment counts: 1) referral 2) scheduled and 3) completed.

For example the counts for the 3rd date...Appointment Date are counting as Scheduled Date, etc.

I tried to use the DAX 'UseRelationship' but that means the relationship needs to be connected to that date from my DATEDIM table. I cannot make 3 DateDim tables to match each date.  I suppose I build in a Date references?

This means that each count is attached to its own respective date like below:

Karolina411_0-1657644264459.png

My problem is my counts are always off when I verify in the table.  I did notice my date table does not have the date icon though the data type is classified as a date:

Could this be throwing it off? I have the datedim connected to the referral date dimension but must I build in the date to all my counts?  

Karolina411_1-1657644264463.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johncolley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Karolina411 , you're right it is a common scenario, I suggest you have a read of: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema 

You can create 3 relationships between your fact table and date dimension table. Only 1 can be active, but you can reference the other 2 using USERELATIONSHIP. Alternatively, it is ok to create multiple date tables to act as role playing dimensions.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
johncolley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Karolina411 , you're right it is a common scenario, I suggest you have a read of: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema 

You can create 3 relationships between your fact table and date dimension table. Only 1 can be active, but you can reference the other 2 using USERELATIONSHIP. Alternatively, it is ok to create multiple date tables to act as role playing dimensions.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.