Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

How can I install Power BI Desktop app on a machine that doesn't have Internet Explorer 10?

While Installing PBI Desktop app I came across an error message "Internet Explorer 10 RTM or Above is required for installation to work". My organization is still on Internet Explorer 9. How do I go about exploring the app with Internet Explorer 9 ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'd guess that Power BI is utilising elements of IE10 and above to do the visualisations and that IE9 does not have the relevant functionality.

Sooner or later organsiations are going to have to ditch IE9, this should be one addditional compelling reason for IT depts to take the plunge. If there are legacy applications that need IE9 then I would weigh up the pros and cons of using a VM to give users IE9 or a VM to give users PowerBI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
raperonzola

I have the same issue, if a customer can't install IE 10 or higher, why can not use the power BI desktop? It is a problem for lots of big organization that cannot migrate the browser due some issue compatibility

To summarize the above metioned do I inderstand it right that there is no way how to install Power BI on a machine with IE8? (excluding VM, etc.).

Due to the internal company's police and due to the fact that there are some internal applications using IE8 it is not allowed to install IE9 or higher? Nevertheless I use Chrome and I am also entitled to use FireFox or Safari. All of these browser are supported by Power BI (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-browser-support/).

Despite this fact there is always an error message appearing (IE 10 or higher is requested) while installing Power BI with Chrome.

Do you have any proposals how to solve this issue or how to install the Power BI  without IE10 or higher successfully?

Thank you for advise in advance

I'd guess that Power BI is utilising elements of IE10 and above to do the visualisations and that IE9 does not have the relevant functionality.

Sooner or later organsiations are going to have to ditch IE9, this should be one addditional compelling reason for IT depts to take the plunge. If there are legacy applications that need IE9 then I would weigh up the pros and cons of using a VM to give users IE9 or a VM to give users PowerBI.

JasonDunbar
Resolver I
Resolver I

Alternatively a local hyper v machine would suffice.

Isn't there a way to have your organisation make an exception?

I understand, for testing purposes VM is okay. But what in the case of implementing?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Spin up a VM in Azure and load it there?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.