Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

X1WMD

How can I determine success or failure based on 3 different row results

Hi BI world,

I've tried to be self sufficient here but my usual Googling ways haven't proved fruitful this time, so for the first time ever I'm bothering the community for assistance in the hopes that someone better than me can help.

Here's my problem. I have a list of processes that are perpetually running, 3 of them in particular are important for determining whether a bigger job completed successfully. I'm struggling to find a way to report on that for a visual because I'm unsure how to pull out those 3 processes from the noise of the others, especially when the 3 don't always complete in the same order. Here's a basic, trimmed version of what I have:

DateTime FinishedProcessNameStatus
04/01/2022 07:01Process1Successful
04/01/2022 06:45Process4Successful
04/01/2022 06:39Process3Successful
04/01/2022 06:39Process2Successful
04/01/2022 05:17Process1Successful
04/01/2022 05:02Process3Failed
04/01/2022 04:35Process2Successful
04/01/2022 04:30Process4Failed

I need to be able to report on each group of Process1, Process2 and Process3 success (so if all 3 show successful then TRUE, if any number of them failed then FALSE). There are other processes thrown into the table (in this example process4 but there are lots more), and as you can see they don't always complete sequentially.

I'm really stumped here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @X1WMD ,

I agree with Alex, it is better for you to add a column that identifies a Run Sequence Number. Here I suggest you to create a calculated column by RANKX(). It will create a rank group by ProcessName, based on the datetime they appear.

Rank =
RANKX (
    FILTER ( 'Table', 'Table'[ProcessName] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[ProcessName] ) ),
    'Table'[DateTime Finished],
    ASC,
    DENSE
)

RicoZhou_0-1649149432588.png

Measure:

All in one =
VAR _Status =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( 'Table'[Status] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Rank] ),
            'Table'[ProcessName] <= "Process3"
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( "Failed" IN _Status, "Failed", "True" )

Result is as below.

RicoZhou_1-1649149481560.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexanderPrime
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

This doesn't quite seem clear, but do you mean you are looking for a way to combine Process 1 through Process 3 to be an "All in one", and the result of the processes are seperate? 

Do these processes have any other information that could be used as an index? aka How do we know that Process 1 at 04/01/2022 05:17 on your example is a different set of results from Process 1 at 04/01/2022 07:01?

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

Hey Alex,

Yes I'm looking to combine each set of 3 processes into a single answer of success or failure. Unforunately there's no other identifier on the processes, but the processes won't start until the previous iteration of it completed, and generally all 3 are completing within their own 2 hour window. So in the (admittedly vague) example above the processes will have started around 4am, and then again around 6am. All the 4am ones would finish before the 6am would start.

Does that help at all?

Thanks again.

Hi @X1WMD ,

I agree with Alex, it is better for you to add a column that identifies a Run Sequence Number. Here I suggest you to create a calculated column by RANKX(). It will create a rank group by ProcessName, based on the datetime they appear.

Rank =
RANKX (
    FILTER ( 'Table', 'Table'[ProcessName] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[ProcessName] ) ),
    'Table'[DateTime Finished],
    ASC,
    DENSE
)

RicoZhou_0-1649149432588.png

Measure:

All in one =
VAR _Status =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( 'Table'[Status] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Rank] ),
            'Table'[ProcessName] <= "Process3"
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( "Failed" IN _Status, "Failed", "True" )

Result is as below.

RicoZhou_1-1649149481560.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think that without an identifier of some sort, coding them together may be a bit difficult as you'll need a way to distingush a way Process 1 2 and 3 should aligned together. Doing them in timestamp order is a bit risky. 

Is it possible to add a column that identifies a Run Sequence Number? If so you'd be able to get a much simpler measure in that could search for Fail States within that Sequence but it ignores everything but Process 1 2 and 3. 

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.