Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hierarchy option not showing in tables

Hi all,

I have a file connected to a SSRS cube as a live connection & I want to build a hierachy for some drill down capabilities. 

The "New Hierachy" option is not showing up, is this because I am using a live connection?

Any ideas for how to get around this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, do you mean you want to use the real-time connection mode to create a hierarchical structure in the SSAS data source?

If this is the case, for the latest version of pbi, live connection mode not support this, you need to use import mode to instead.

vhenrykmstf_0-1628835609515.png

or create hierarchy at AS side.

vhenrykmstf_1-1628835696722.png

related document link:

Create and manage hierarchies in Analysis Services tabular models | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, do you mean you want to use the real-time connection mode to create a hierarchical structure in the SSAS data source?

If this is the case, for the latest version of pbi, live connection mode not support this, you need to use import mode to instead.

vhenrykmstf_0-1628835609515.png

or create hierarchy at AS side.

vhenrykmstf_1-1628835696722.png

related document link:

Create and manage hierarchies in Analysis Services tabular models | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Yeah, a live connection doesn't allow you to change the underlying model.

With SSAS, it's possible to change to a DirectQuery connection and do local modeling but I don't if that extends to SSRS cubes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what about creating a DAX table based off the underlying model then creating a hierarchy off that, would this work?

You can write new measures, sure. It's not clear to me how you'd get them to act like a hierarchy. Can you clarify?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlexisOlson  I honestly dont have too much info yet, I just started this project with a new company and I am trying to figure out how all their data works. Basically I am trying to start at the geo level then drill down to manager then down to sales person then to account to locate problematic accounts 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.