Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

kirby001

Hide certain row headers

I have a matrix in that is essentially a league table of metrics by staff member. This table is going to be used in 1-1s so will be shown to the staff member. I want to be able to select a staff member and have this staff members name be the only row header visible in the matrix but still have the other rows and metrics visible so they can be used as a comparitive league table.

I have considered making a measure to conditionally format the row heads but row headers cannot be conditionally formatted as far as i can see. Is this acheiveable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kirby001

Thanks for the response, not quite what I was after but very useful.

I have managed to self solve so adding my solution in case its helpful to anyone going forward.

kirby001_0-1718878994426.png

Blanked out all the actual metrics here but when a primary_resource is selected in the slicer, the table matrix remains unchanged other than the unselected primary resources are now blank. This allows this to be used as a "league table" while keeping the unselected names confidential.

This has been acheived by hiding the row headers entirely and using a measure to create row headers instead. Measure as follows

Selected_Primary_Resource = 
VAR FilterName = IF(
    HASONEVALUE(Provisioner[Primary_Resource]),
    VALUES(Provisioner[Primary_Resource]),
    BLANK()
)
RETURN
IF(
    HASONEVALUE(OT_Temp[Primary_Resource]),
    IF(
        ISBLANK(FilterName),
        VALUES(OT_Temp[Primary_Resource]),
        IF(
            VALUES(OT_Temp[Primary_Resource]) = FilterName,
            BLANK()
        )
    ),
    BLANK()
)

The provisioner table is an unlinked table so when a single provisioner is selected, only their name appears and the others are blank.

Sorry if the explanation is rubbish. Hope this helps someone in future. Would be great if powerbi could add conditional formatting options to row headers so this would be much simpler to achieve.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kirby001

Thanks for the response, not quite what I was after but very useful.

I have managed to self solve so adding my solution in case its helpful to anyone going forward.

kirby001_0-1718878994426.png

Blanked out all the actual metrics here but when a primary_resource is selected in the slicer, the table matrix remains unchanged other than the unselected primary resources are now blank. This allows this to be used as a "league table" while keeping the unselected names confidential.

This has been acheived by hiding the row headers entirely and using a measure to create row headers instead. Measure as follows

Selected_Primary_Resource = 
VAR FilterName = IF(
    HASONEVALUE(Provisioner[Primary_Resource]),
    VALUES(Provisioner[Primary_Resource]),
    BLANK()
)
RETURN
IF(
    HASONEVALUE(OT_Temp[Primary_Resource]),
    IF(
        ISBLANK(FilterName),
        IF(
            VALUES(OT_Temp[Primary_Resource]) = FilterName,
            BLANK()
        )
    ),
    BLANK()
)

The provisioner table is an unlinked table so when a single provisioner is selected, only their name appears and the others are blank.

Sorry if the explanation is rubbish. Hope this helps someone in future. Would be great if powerbi could add conditional formatting options to row headers so this would be much simpler to achieve.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @kirby001 ,

This might be what you need. The approach uses a disconnected table which is simpley a copy of the column headers and then a measure to return a value only if not disconnected table selection.

danextian_1-1718801154024.png

Sample Measure

Total Revenue2 = 
CALCULATE (
    [Total Revenue],
    FILTER ( VALUES ( Geo[Geo] ), NOT Geo[Geo] IN VALUES ( Geo2[Geo] ) )
)

Please refer to attached pbix for the details.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors