Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Human
Frequent Visitor

Help with volume differences calculation

Hi everyone,

i would like to calculate for the total differences in volume used for each variable a,b and c. Each volume difference will refer to the 'TRUE' and 'FALSE' state of each variable. The yellow column is the intended result that I am expecting but I'm getting nowhere near to that.

Human_1-1695959481790.png

Can someone please help

6 REPLIES 6
CoreyP
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you please try to clarify? I'm not understanding at all what you're hoping to achieve. I see that 704-667 = 37, and 740 - 630 = 110 , etc. But I can't figure out for the life of me what logic you want to apply and when.

Human
Frequent Visitor

So I'm trying to create a calculated column/dax to calculate the differences between the volume column which would be referring to the start and stop of the 'TRUE' state of variable A,B and C. So for example for variable C, for the 'TRUE' state would start at volume 630 and ended at 594. So the result I intended to be returned would be the difference between 630 and 594.

Sorry if I was not being clear. I'm quite new to Power BI.

Oh, no worries. Thanks for clarifying. Is there like an end objective? There's likely a more effective way to model/structure your data to accomplish what you're looking for without writing a weird DAX column.

Human
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your understanding. So for my end objective, I intend to be able to calculate the total volume used for each variable and eventually, the total/overall volume use.

And what exactly are these variables? They can just be either true or false based on a calculation or something?

Human
Frequent Visitor

From my understanding, the variable is some kind of machine that utilizes the volume and the value of 'TRUE' and 'FALSE' is the status of the machine state whether it is in use or not. TRUE as in-use indicator and FALSE as when the machine is not in-use. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.