Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Help with SUMX

Hi everyone,

I have got a large data set which records measurements every 25 centimeters. These data points then need to be summed up to 100 meter intervals and divided by the the count of entries.

For example:

Between 18.2 (including) and 18.3 (not including) the sum of the measurements equals 642.24 with a count of rows equalling 169, this gives an average reading for this distance of 3.8 (642.24/169).

What I am struggling with is how to get a formula to do this across all 100 meter measurement. There is approximately 630 km of track which will be measured.

My thoughts are that SUMX should do this I just cant figure out how to get the formula to only calculate from the start XXX.0 to XXX.09, and then XXX.1 to XXX.19 etc.

Here is an example of the data:

TQI.PNG

Custom location is calculated column with the following formula:

=Number.Round([LOCATION],2)

Everything else is raw data.

Hope someone has an awesome idea.

Thanks,

Giles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@GilesWalker

In this scenario, we can add a group column in the table. For example, the rows between 18.20 and 18.29 are belong to group 1, rows between 18.30 and 18.39 are belong to group 2. Then we can calculate the average easily.

But in this method, we need to make sure each meter location exists. For example, there should be 10 distinct custom locations between 18.20 and 18.29.

I’ll use following simple dataset to explain. I’m not sure which value is measurements, so I add a data column as below.

Help with SUMX_1.jpg

1. Duplicate above table in Query Editor and only keep the custom location column.
  2. Remove duplicates for this custom location column in the duplicated table (I call it Table2 here).
  3. Add an Index column for Table2. Close and apply Query Editor.
    Help with SUMX_2.jpg
  4. Create relationship between Table1 and Table2 with custom location key.
  5. Create a column with following DAX formula in Table2.
    Group = 
    ROUNDUP ( Table2[Index] / 10, 0 )
    Help with SUMX_3.jpg
  6. Create a column with following DAX formula in Table1.
    Group = 
    RELATED ( Table2[Group] )
  7. Create a column to calculate the average with 100 meter intervals.
    Average = 
    DIVIDE (
        CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[Data] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Group] ) ),
        CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table1 ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Group] ) )
    )
    Help with SUMX_4.jpg

I’ve uploaded my .pbix file here for reference.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@GilesWalker

In this scenario, we can add a group column in the table. For example, the rows between 18.20 and 18.29 are belong to group 1, rows between 18.30 and 18.39 are belong to group 2. Then we can calculate the average easily.

But in this method, we need to make sure each meter location exists. For example, there should be 10 distinct custom locations between 18.20 and 18.29.

I’ll use following simple dataset to explain. I’m not sure which value is measurements, so I add a data column as below.

Help with SUMX_1.jpg

1. Duplicate above table in Query Editor and only keep the custom location column.
  2. Remove duplicates for this custom location column in the duplicated table (I call it Table2 here).
  3. Add an Index column for Table2. Close and apply Query Editor.
    Help with SUMX_2.jpg
  4. Create relationship between Table1 and Table2 with custom location key.
  5. Create a column with following DAX formula in Table2.
    Group = 
    ROUNDUP ( Table2[Index] / 10, 0 )
    Help with SUMX_3.jpg
  6. Create a column with following DAX formula in Table1.
    Group = 
    RELATED ( Table2[Group] )
  7. Create a column to calculate the average with 100 meter intervals.
    Average = 
    DIVIDE (
        CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[Data] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Group] ) ),
        CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table1 ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Group] ) )
    )
    Help with SUMX_4.jpg

I’ve uploaded my .pbix file here for reference.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

I have tested this and it appears to be working perfectly. I will be doing a more detailed testing tomorrow and if is all good will mark this off as completed.

Thanks for the help on this, your solution was clear and easy to follow.

Regards,

Giles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.