Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Help with DAX on DirectQuery

Hi there,

Need help with following scenario, I'm using Azure SQL Server with DirectQuery in PowerBI.

I have phone calls data table which is related to calendar table. Problem I'm trying to solve here is to compare number of calls on a date with average number of calls in previous days.

Here is what average mean:

I have a slicer table, allows you to select average for how many days? 7, 15, 30, 45, 60 

I have a formula called "How many Average Days?" = if(HASONEVALUE(SlicerTable), VALUES(SlicerTable[Days]), 7), giving default value to 7days, if no value is selected in formula

So for example if we are looking at data as of March 03rd, so average will be number of calls between start date and yesterday, in this case start date will be Feb 24th (Yesterday - How many average days), in other words (March 02nd  - 7 Days) and end date will be yesterday (March 02nd).

We will count all the calls between Feb 24th and March 02nd and then divide by How many average days? 

In this whole thing I'm unable figure out how to get start date since DAX doesn't allows DATEADD functionality on directquery and I'm unable to figure out any other way. I hope it is detailed enough to provide help. 

Thanks,

Parv

lls in a date range / number of days

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Does the old ([date] + 7 * 1.) trick work? That would add 7 days to [date] for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I get this error when I'm trying to add following column in Calendar Table

dateerror.PNG

Here is how "How Many Average Date?" measure is calculated in calendar table:

How many average days? = IF(HASONEVALUE('Days for Average'[Days]), MAX('Days for Average'[Days Value]), 30) 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k,

From the error message, it indicates CountRows() cann't be used to create a calculated column in DirectQuery. Please check if 'Days for Average'[Days] or 'Days for Average'[Days Value] is calculated from the CountRows() function.

Depends on results you want to display in the visual, you can try to change the calculated column to a measure, as CountRows is available in measure.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

As mentioned in my original post, my not using countrows anywhere and that was surprising to me as well when I get this countrows error message, let me know what other information I can provide. 

Also if i make following as a column in my calendar table and use this column in my calculation, all works well.

How many Average Days?" = if(HASONEVALUE(SlicerTable), VALUES(SlicerTable[Days]), 7)

changed to column as fixed value

How many average days? = 30

Any help on this or alternate solution? Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.