Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jamming_Mon
Frequent Visitor

Help on using slicers on a Matrix that will give all the numbers for the Quarter up to that point?

Is there a way to filter using slicers in Power BI that will give all the numbers for the Quarter upto that point? For example I have the following quarters as columns in a matrix visualization 2021-Q1, 2021-Q2, 2021-Q3, 2021-Q4, 2022-Q1, 2022-Q2, 2022-Q3 etc

(Included is a screenshot of what I'm looking to acomplish.)

Currently if I were to use a FY-FQ slicer for a particular quarter it will only show the sum for the quarter.

What I want is to be able to pick a FY&FQ quarter on the slicer and it show me previous quarters too on the column headers and not anything in the future.

For example, if I were to pick 2021-Q4, the Maxtrix visualization would show columns 2021-Q1, 2021-Q2, 2021-Q3 and 2021-Q4 with their totals, but not anything after, but everything before 2021-Q4.Matrix_Visualization_Filtering.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jamming_Mon ,

By my test, we can only get it in a table visual like below.

1.Create a new table, don't make relationship with the fact table.

Quarter = values('Table'[Quarter])

2.Create a measure.

Measure =
IF ( MAX ( 'Table'[Quarter] ) <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Quarter'[Quarter] ), 1, 0 )

Then put the Quarter column of the new created table in slicer, and put the mesure in the table visual filter, select it's value to 1.

Get the correct result.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1685003603197.png

Matrix visual cannot be filtered like this. I attach my sample below for your reference.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jamming_Mon ,

By my test, we can only get it in a table visual like below.

1.Create a new table, don't make relationship with the fact table.

Quarter = values('Table'[Quarter])

2.Create a measure.

Measure =
IF ( MAX ( 'Table'[Quarter] ) <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Quarter'[Quarter] ), 1, 0 )

Then put the Quarter column of the new created table in slicer, and put the mesure in the table visual filter, select it's value to 1.

Get the correct result.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1685003603197.png

Matrix visual cannot be filtered like this. I attach my sample below for your reference.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.