Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PHDurand
Helper I
Helper I

Help - Switch formulas for dynamic column selection

Hi,

I need some help on using the SWITCH function for dynamis based on a measure.

I tried to add a calculated column which can diplay another column of the same table depending of a value: Value 1 will disply column A, Value 2 will display column B,....

The Value is determined by a measure based on a table not linked to the previous one.

Tables look like:

Column AColumn BColumn CSWITCH
abc 
aabbcc 
aaabbbccc 

Selection

So if I select 1 from the Selection Table, then the SWITCH column from the other table will diplay column A.

Value is determined by the following measure:

- Measure = MIN('Selection'[Selection])

SWITCH column is as below:

- SWITCH = SWITCH([Measure];1;[Column A];B;;[Column B];C;;[Column C])

But when I tried to use in a visual I always get Column A in SWITCH whatever is selected in Measure.

See below an example: we see Measure = 2 & I should see the column B values. But instead I always got the column A

Capture.PNG

Do you know what is wrong with the Switch function ?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@PHDurand ,

Values in a calculated column are fixed. You'll need to create a measure.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Actually I already tried to built it as a measure. The problem is that the measures are added in visuals. As I want to keep the result as a distinct value (no aggregation) I was trying to built it as a custom column.

Is there any option "don't summarize" to apply on measures ? Or any way to change the formulas & make sure all resulta are distincts ?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.