Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jenyueh

Help! Couldn't publish to Power BI: An Existing Connection was forcibly closed by remote host error

For the past 2 weeks, I am getting the "Couldn't publish to Power BI: An Existing Connection was forcibly closed by remote host" error when I tried to publish a dashboard that I have published many times before. I am only having issue with 1 dashboard. I can publish other dashboards in the same workspace with no issues.

Some information:

• Power BI desktop March 2023 version
  • Power BI services linked to Office 365
  • Other team members can publish this dashboard successfully so the data size is not an issue.

jenyueh_0-1679570546595.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@jenyueh ,
Point 4: You can Go to Power BI service, Get Data-> Files to get pbix files, this has the same effect as publish from desktop
> Go to required workspace and try uploading the .pbix directly from there using below option

Anand24_0-1679579680119.png

Point 5: If above methods are not working, please run Fiddler with Decrypt Https traffic enabled and repeat publish steps to reproduce the issue and post the related message for fur discussion
> Fiddler is separate software which needs to be installed in your system. It helps in checking the logs at the browser level which then helps in debugging issues
> Microsoft Documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/web-connection-fiddler
> If you are not thorough with Fiddler or you can't install in your organization's system due to security concerns, please raise a service ticket with Microsoft

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

jenyueh

For all viewers who read this post, I have an update. I actually found a solution that fixed my issue where now I can publish my dashboard from Power BI desktop again!

The solution is to clear cache. From the dashboard on Power BI desktop, go to File --> Options and Settings --> Options, under Data Load, clear all cache shown in the screenshot below. After I cleared all the cache, I was able to publish my dashboard again!!

jenyueh_0-1679917721438.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jenyueh

For all viewers who read this post, I have an update. I actually found a solution that fixed my issue where now I can publish my dashboard from Power BI desktop again!

The solution is to clear cache. From the dashboard on Power BI desktop, go to File --> Options and Settings --> Options, under Data Load, clear all cache shown in the screenshot below. After I cleared all the cache, I was able to publish my dashboard again!!

jenyueh_0-1679917721438.png

jenyueh

Hi @Anand24

I actually saw this post before. The first 3 points are not applicable. Can you help me with point 4 and 5?

Really appreciate your help!

@jenyueh ,
Point 4: You can Go to Power BI service, Get Data-> Files to get pbix files, this has the same effect as publish from desktop
> Go to required workspace and try uploading the .pbix directly from there using below option

Anand24_0-1679579680119.png

Point 5: If above methods are not working, please run Fiddler with Decrypt Https traffic enabled and repeat publish steps to reproduce the issue and post the related message for fur discussion
> Fiddler is separate software which needs to be installed in your system. It helps in checking the logs at the browser level which then helps in debugging issues
> Microsoft Documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/web-connection-fiddler
> If you are not thorough with Fiddler or you can't install in your organization's system due to security concerns, please raise a service ticket with Microsoft

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

LinkedIn

This upload solution was a breeze.  Thank you!

Hi @Anand24

Sorry to bother you again. I was able to re-publish my dashboard yesterday by following step 4. But today when I tried it again with the same step by uploading the dashboard, it did not give me any error, but the dashboard is also not updated. What am I doing wrong?

@Anand24

Wow following your step 4 instructions worked!! Thank you soooo much for your help!

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @jenyueh ,
What is the data source being used? Has there been any change of permission since you last published this dataset?
Have you tried publishing it to any other workspace?

LinkedIn

Hi, 

The data source is a bunch of Excel/CSV files that I imported. I have not changed any permissions since the last time I was able to publish this dashboard. As I said, another team member in my team can publish this dashboard without any problems.

I have also tried to publish it in my own workspace, which I got the same error. But I was also able to publish it in my workspace before.

@jenyueh ,
You can go through the reply 5 of below post:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Couldn-t-publish-to-Power-BI-An-Exixting-Connection-was-for...

Since the issue is user-specific, you should raise a concern with MS Support since only they will be able to check the logs and provide more information. Do let them know that the issue is user-specific and is not workspace specific.

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.