Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping Without DAX

Hi:

The visualization that I have in Power BI Desktop on the left appears just like Excel does - with rows and columns.

And, I just read the article on grouping without DAX in Power BI.  I was able to create four groups - one for each sales territory.  All well and good.

But, even after adding the group as a column in the visualization on th eleft, I do not see a way to "collapse" the detail based on these groups.

Just like in Excel, I want the detailed rows of data to be summarized by sales territory and give end users the ability to expand and collapse (i.e. drill back).  How do I do this?

BTW, somebody wrote an article visually showing how "Rows" can be turned on in the "Visualization" seciton on the right in Pwoer BI.  THis selection is not available for me.  Strange.

Thanks!

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @Anonymous - Couple of watch out while trying to create groups in Power BI

1. You need to create groups for ALL available values in the column (my example Month) you are using to create groups 

Month group1.png

Month group2.png

2. Then you need to add the group and the underlying column into the matrix visual to get the view you are looking for

Month group3.png

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you provide some examples of what you looking for its hard to visualise what you are saying. Do you have some screen shots? Creating groups wont necessarily allow you to drill down, you need to create hierarchies for that.

what do you want to do with these rows.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the URL, please see the scrrenshot above the section entitled "Editing Groups".

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/grouping-in-power-bi-desktop-without-using-dax/

hi John thing is i actually need to see your data to understand your problem. I understand what groups are. Which visual are you using and have you tried to drill down in the visual? How are putting the data you have in the visual. Need more information to understand where there is an issue.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting a message saying that I do not have permissions to upload screenshots.  So, I can't do that.

I'm simply trying to group, just like in Excel and just like in that article says.

I'll figure out drill down on my own.

I just want the group name to shown on one row for each of the records for that group.  Easy peesy lemon squeezy.

hi @Anonymous - Couple of watch out while trying to create groups in Power BI

1. You need to create groups for ALL available values in the column (my example Month) you are using to create groups 

Month group1.png

Month group2.png

2. Then you need to add the group and the underlying column into the matrix visual to get the view you are looking for

Month group3.png

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Sumanth_23!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!  And, I just showed our client.  He's ecstatic!

You made my weekend!

Thank you, again, Kind Sir!

John

hi @Anonymous - Thank you and very happy to help!! Cheers! 🍻

thing is i am not an excel user, so I dont know groupings in excel. However there is more that one way to do things but without some data and only very generalised information its hard to give specific help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.