Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping Month-Year Distinct by Year

I am having trouble reproducing this solution: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-group-months-by-year-on-a-line-chart-visual-Axis/td-...

How do I display data over many years continuously, grouped by the months only, distinguished by the year; without using a legend or by using a calculated column that gives the dates column a quant value (like YEAR*100+Month*10=value and then sort by)? Or alternatively, I'm not looking to create a key table that separately gives a value to the summarized view of my data's dates.

I am just trying to reproduce these solutions but it's still grouping all the months together by name, not distinguishing between year.

Screenshot is my test example. I just used the calendar function to create values between two years and then randomly generated values.

Example.PNG

Example 2.PNG

Example 3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@Anonymous,

After switching off concatenate labels as:

1.png

then drill down like:

2.png

3.png

Here is the output:

4.png

If you want to learn more, please refer: How-to-change-the-granularity-of-date-in-X-axis 

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@Anonymous,

After switching off concatenate labels as:

1.png

then drill down like:

2.png

3.png

Here is the output:

4.png

If you want to learn more, please refer: How-to-change-the-granularity-of-date-in-X-axis 

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

Either you have these columns and use those

Month Year = FORMAT([Date],"mmm-yyyy")
Month Year sort = FORMAT([Date],"yyyymm")

And use on x-axis

or

Month= FORMAT([Date],"mmm")
Month sort = month([Date])

Then have Year and Month on x-axis, sort on them. Uncheck concatenated labels. and try

refer the power bi part of this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5BBRN853c

Concat Label Off.pngConcat2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the first proposed solution I know works for sure, because you're effectively giving the different years and months a quant value.

Your second proposal addresses what I'm asking.

My questions are:

1) Any idea why I can't get my year buckets to appear (2020, and 2021)?

2) What do you do with creating a Month name field (Month= FORMAT([Date],"mmm")) and then a Month digit field (

Month sort = month([Date]))? I don't understand how those two values are used to sort across various years.

Example 6.png

Example 5.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.