Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

chadrenstrom
Frequent Visitor

Group Policy preventing uncertified visuals not working as expected

I'm trying to configure Group Policy to restrict use of only certified visuals, can someone who is successfully doing this, confirm these settings or let me know what I'm missing?

Group Policy is configured as directed in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-portal#custom-visuals-settings.  Checking the registry I can see:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop

EnableCustomVisuals = 1 (type: REG_DWORD)

EnableUncertifiedVisuals = 0 (type: REG_DWORD)

In Power BI, I'm able to browse and import uncertified visuals from marketplace, for example "Circle KPI Gauge from Paypal_ITA."  I'm also able to add them to the canvas.  I expected to either not see them in the marketplace or not import them, certainly not being able add them to the canvas.  I'm concerned that I don't understand the expected behavior or I have the GP configured wrong.   Any assistance in understanding the behavior or confirmation on GP/registry settings would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Revisiting this I found this is now working, just not as I expected. I can import any custom visual from AppSource and add them to the canvas, but when I attempt to add data to them it says it is disabled by the administrator.

My expectations were that, like disabling ArcGIS, only certified visuals could be imported/addded from AppSource.

For future reference, this is using Power BI Desktop, March 2020.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chadrenstrom ,

It is not a feature to change value directly in the Desktop. You could search "Group Policy" in local or enter "gpedit.msc" using Run (win + R) to open local Group Policy Editor. And then find the key and change the value. If you can't find it, you might need to ask for help with IT administrators. It may be restricted by your company.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xuding-msft,

GPResult from the admin console shows the registry settings as successful (see image).  Any other suggestions or should I open a support case?PBI_GP.png

Hi @chadrenstrom ,

So your Group Policy sets 0(disable uncertified visuals) by default. But you still can use those visuals.  Oh, sorry, I don't know either. Please try to create a support ticket to get help.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Revisiting this I found this is now working, just not as I expected. I can import any custom visual from AppSource and add them to the canvas, but when I attempt to add data to them it says it is disabled by the administrator.

My expectations were that, like disabling ArcGIS, only certified visuals could be imported/addded from AppSource.

For future reference, this is using Power BI Desktop, March 2020.

@chadrenstrom Did you ever find a 'better' way, or was this as good as it got?  And if this was as good as it gets - how is that going with users, what with them able to install, it just errors on usage? 

Checking Local Group Policy and gpresult I do not see it, am further checking with our GP admins.  I'm wondering if those are confirmation that it's somehow not being applied.

I will update this discussion when I have more info.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.