Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbinewbie_22
Frequent Visitor

Getting the Weekly Average of Employee Attendance when the Dates are placed in Columns

So here is the scenario: We want to get the weekly average of employee attendance in the office, be able to classify them according to how many days they went to the office (e.g. 0 day, Less than 1 day, 1 day, etc.), and be able to filter according to date, business unit, and other employee details.

The data that I have right now are separated into two: first is the Employee Details table, and the raw Attendance table. I mainly just use excel and merge the attendance table to the Employee Details table, so it would like a bit like this:

Employee IDBusiness UnitGradeGeneration1/2/20231/3/20231/4/20231/5/20231/6/2023Week 1 Sum1/9/20231/10/20231/11/20231/12/20231/13/2023Week 2 Sum
ALegal5Gen X100102111115

In order to get the Weekly Average of all the Week X Sum columns, I have a Weekly Avg column at the end of the table, which is just =average(all Week X columns). The tricky part is when I try to unpivot this table by using the Weekly Avg column as the Attribute, I no longer have the date/week references which means that I could no longer filter them by date. 

I tried unpivoting by using the Week X Sum columns and appended a Calendar table to get the dates associated with each week, but the resulting table doesn't filter by date properly and I also don't have decimal points in the Value (which means I wouldn'tbe able to get the Less than a day classification since the Week X Sum Columns are just whole numbers of 0-5)

I also tried the Group By function, but it all ended up with the same result above.

Hoping that I would be able to get some answers. I've been at this for a month and I'm all out of options

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I tried unpivoting by using the Week X Sum columns and appended a Calendar table

That sounds vaguely like a good idea.  

Please provide sample data that FULLY covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.