Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SoundChimera
Frequent Visitor

Generating data from Power BI datasets and storing them

Hello everyone,

I work with HR data in Power BI and historical queries can be problematic with how the central HR database is designed. For now, my Power BI reports only show the current-day data. I'd like to store the most important data chunks from these reports every day by aggregating & summarizing them, so I can analyze them later or create reports for historical analyses.

What would be the best way to do this? Is it creating a database on my computer locally (I'm sure servers are better for this, since storage is a concern) that pulls data from the HR database itself, or can I generate data from Power BI datasets themselves?

The latter would be preferred, because I do a lot of tidying-up in Power Query. If the latter is indeed possible, how would I automate extracting the data to a new database from PBI datasets to a new database? Python? An in-built Power BI tool? Anything else I'm not aware about?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SoundChimera ,

Do you mean data archiving that refreshes data while retaining historical data? Unfortunately, if so, Power BI can't do that.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I've looked into Dataflows and that looks like a solution I can use to store data daily at a regular interval in a specific way. Haven't looked much into it though - but can Dataflows help me achieve my goal?

For now, I've decided to go with the Python route to append data daily to another database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.