Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gantt - Sub Tasks & Parent

Hi there

Can someone point me in the right direction to get Gantt chart to work with:

• Parent
  • Sub Tasks

And if possible explanations for Sub Tasks -> 'Inherit parent legend', 'Parent duration by children', 'Parent completion by children'.

So far Google searches turn up the code for Gantt:

https://github.com/Microsoft/powerbi-visuals-gantt/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=sub+tasks&type=

From the code, it looks like a group needs to be made with sub tasks which can then be expanded/collapsed on the Gantt chart.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you structure the tabel as 

Start                Duration    Parent    Task      Complete     Resource

2018-01-01     0                               AAA

2018-01-01     10              AAA        A1         10%             Name1

2018-01-15     20              AAA        A2          30%            Name2

2018-02-01     40                            BBB         0%             Name 3

You will get an arrow at the parent AAA.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
BarryM
Helper II
Helper II

I am actually having an issue with the 'Parent', I have 8 items in that field but only 6 are displaying in the Gantt Chart.

From Gantt Chart

BarryM_0-1665763265670.png

From Table of Parent Items

BarryM_1-1665763314983.png

What would cause this and how can I correct it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try out the xviz Gantt chart. It is by far the most sophisticated gantt chart.

You can configure the parent child hierarchy and even set the default hierarhcy level to view.

parent node customization- this way it is easier to spot the parent node

Color based on different rules. eg. children inherit parent color etc

Helpful link - 

https://xviz.com/blogs/10-new-features-xviz-gantt-chart/

https://xviz.com/blogs/gantt-chart-advanced-custom-visuals-for-power-bi/

https://xviz.com/blogs/alerting-techniques-in-xviz-gantt-chart-for-power-bi/

https://xviz.com/blogs/5-use-cases-for-xviz-gantt-chart-in-power-bi/

mayanktaneja
Regular Visitor

Same question. It is quite surprising that Microsoft folks are not responding. I have not been able to find any solution anywhere on the web.

If you structure the tabel as 

Start                Duration    Parent    Task      Complete     Resource

2018-01-01     0                               AAA

2018-01-01     10              AAA        A1         10%             Name1

2018-01-15     20              AAA        A2          30%            Name2

2018-02-01     40                            BBB         0%             Name 3

You will get an arrow at the parent AAA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @LostInTheFlood, your table structure works!

Here is a screenshot of how the Gantt look in Power BI. Note the small 'arrow' next to the task name 'AAA' which expands to show the sub tasks.

Gantt Example.PNG

Hi @LostInTheFlood and @Anonymous,

How did you get the arrow to show whereas most of us cannot get it?

Is there nay specific setting?

Hi

It was working in 1.10 but then stopped working in 1.11 (for me anyway). They have just released 1.13 (not visible in the store yet) with new improvements. I hope it will start working again in that version.

/

Hey - I can see they released 1.14 now. 

It still doesn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Drop Down with arrow as per my original screenshot no longer functions.  Was originally using Gantt 0.9.

All 'parent' tasks are now listed twice on Gantt when viewed in a browser on Report Server on Prem and on Cloud:

* Once at the top of Gantt

* Then further down again on Gantt

Have tried with older versions of Gantt (including 0.9) with no success, it appears to be an issue with Power BI.

I know. If you compare the change log with the actual viz you'll see that it seem to still be 1.12 beeng downloaded into PBI.

(End date is a new option from 1.13). 

I managed to get this working in the Desktop app but not the web version. 

For me the error was not having a duration defined against the Parent task.  So adding 0 to that column for all parents made it work.

I finally managed to get this to work as shown in the previous screenshots.   It seems that the dropdowns don't work on the web version of PowerBI but they do on the desktop version.  Also you need to have 0 entered in the duration field for the Parent task. 

Hi @Anonymous

I've copied the dataset and allocated the fields. The subtasks seem to be working (I can see from selecting "Inherit Parent Legend" changes the colour of the bar). The issue is I see no arrow for the drop down. What setting did you alter to get this or did it come up automatically? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bretto

Here is a link to the Power BI sample:

Link Power BI example

Hope it helps.

Appreciate it @Anonymous.

The linked file doesn't have the dropdowns like your screenshot. Apologies if I'm missing something simple.

@bretto @Anonymous 

I'm experiencing the same issue; the items appear but as separate 'tasks' and not as dropdowns of the parent. Would appreciate any solutions or workarounds.

Hey - I've posted this as an idea. May get some attention if other people have this issue.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34695010-gantt-chart-expand-colla...

Hi @Aash_

Apologies, I haven't worked out yet how @Anonymous's screenshot came about. 

It may be to do with versions (a prior version had functionality and it's now no longer working. Maybe, I don't yet know).

I am also having trouble with this. The subtasks do group by parent, and the parent task has a bolder color. However, no arrow to colapse the subtasks. I think this is a critical feature and should be added as an obvious Formating selection. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.