Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lmilley
Frequent Visitor

From PRO to Premium space: how to ensure visualization and data are refreshed?

I am new to Power BI and seem to have missed some key info. I have created some visualizations (I was calling them dashboards but they are multi tabbed creations) from excel files on One Drive for Business. When I publish them to power bi servce (one per workspace usually) they seem to go okay and I can refresh both look and feel and data. But now I have had them moved by IT to "Premium Space" at my workplace so others can get access. Now I can no longer refresh either the data or the visualizations themselves. 

I have tried to research this myself and have noted that I may have mis-used the term dashboard since these are not single page .pbix files. Can someone point me to the right info for understanding the differences here and also what the process is for me to be able to refresh both data and the visualizations. I am seeing terms like dashboard, tiles, pinning tiles from reports etc but do not yet understand - I need one step before this I think to start from in my readings. I don't want to have to publish a brand new multipaged visualization (into a  service workspace and then into Premium space) with new links to send out to people every time I make an enhancement to these files or want to refresh the data. 

thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lmilley
Frequent Visitor

Thank you again! I tried to enter credentials and it didn't seem to work. However! I opened a different report on desktop and refreshed the data and then saved the report itself (all stored on One Drive for Business) and its corresponding premium service version refreshed automatically. It seems they all should be refreshing from the One Drive refresh even if the Scheduled Refresh has been turned off. But my original problem report and data source will not.

I think there is a problem with the excel file. When I open and save it, it tells me there are other changes from another user. But there are not or shouldn't be. I ended up saving the excel as a new version, archiving the original in a new folder and renaming the "save as" one to the original file's name.  The premium service report and data still wouldn't refresh.

So I did a "save as"  on the desktop version to a new name and uploaded the newly named one again as a net new report directly into the premium service.

(Somewhere I believe I read that the Power BI reports will "follow" the original source excel file wherever you rename it or move it even if you have a new file with the original name and location. In other words they are using an underlying file identifier rather than the name and location of the file. I will have to experiment on this to understand how I can do refreshes and changes to data) 

So for now I have solved my immediate problem by replacing the problem report.  I have more to learn so I can smoothly update the data and report visualization. I still don't understand what excel was up to telling me there were changes from another user. 

Thank you again. It made a big difference to me to have your guidance and help. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lmilley
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for your response. 

I am not sure what moving to premium space means...that was the language used by the IT department. The workspaces now show up in my power BI service area with a diamond next to them. I can indeed access them.

I checked again and tried to refresh and this is the error I get:

"Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh."

I am accessing the data and the reports off of my company's OneDrive. I made sure I was recently authenticated in the same browser as I am looking at the power BI service workspaces.

I had thought one of the benefits of having the data and power bi desktop (pro licenses) created reports on OneDrive (I assume it is for One Drive for Business) is the automatic refreshes. But I would prefer and be happy with having to manually update both the reports and the data as neither changes on a frequent basis. 

thanks again for any assistance. I have taken some courses on Power BI and obviously have a ways to go. 

Ok, so that error is just suggesting you need to reenter credentials for the dataset.

If you go to the settings for the dataset, you should be able to edit/add missing credentials.

Screenshot_20221119-060054~2.png

Do this for all datasets that error and scheduled refresh should then work. 

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x
lmilley
Frequent Visitor

Thank you again! I tried to enter credentials and it didn't seem to work. However! I opened a different report on desktop and refreshed the data and then saved the report itself (all stored on One Drive for Business) and its corresponding premium service version refreshed automatically. It seems they all should be refreshing from the One Drive refresh even if the Scheduled Refresh has been turned off. But my original problem report and data source will not.

I think there is a problem with the excel file. When I open and save it, it tells me there are other changes from another user. But there are not or shouldn't be. I ended up saving the excel as a new version, archiving the original in a new folder and renaming the "save as" one to the original file's name.  The premium service report and data still wouldn't refresh.

So I did a "save as"  on the desktop version to a new name and uploaded the newly named one again as a net new report directly into the premium service.

(Somewhere I believe I read that the Power BI reports will "follow" the original source excel file wherever you rename it or move it even if you have a new file with the original name and location. In other words they are using an underlying file identifier rather than the name and location of the file. I will have to experiment on this to understand how I can do refreshes and changes to data) 

So for now I have solved my immediate problem by replacing the problem report.  I have more to learn so I can smoothly update the data and report visualization. I still don't understand what excel was up to telling me there were changes from another user. 

Thank you again. It made a big difference to me to have your guidance and help. 

Hey, glad you got it solved in the end.

I don't typically recommend relying on the automatic OneDrive refresh or deployment option. I find it very unreliable at times and there can be many things that cause it to break. You've found one instance of it already. 

I prefer to control the refresh of the dataset with either scheduled refreshes or via PowerAutomate. 

That said, if it's working now I wouldn't change it, just be aware if you run into problems you may want to revisit this later.

Enjoy the Power BI journey! It's great fun. 😊

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr
KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Welcome to Power BI. It's a fun journey.

I think what you're referring to are 'reports' not dashboards. Even a single page .PBIX file is a report. Dashboards basically don't exist in Power BI (you can create Dashboards in the Power BI Service but very few people use them). 

The only place to create a Dashboard is in the Power BI Service (the website). See screenshot.

KNP_0-1668542455354.png

If you search for things using terms like 'publish', 'workspace', 'report', 'service', 'refresh error', this should get you closer to a solution. 

You say you had them "moved by IT", how was this done?

Do you have access to the workspaces that they now exist in?

Do you see an error in the service when you try to refresh them?

If you publish the report to the new workspace, everything should work as expected.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.