Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kimber
Frequent Visitor

Formatting donut chart subsegments

My donut chart represents all students and is segmented by grade level. Within each grade level segment is a sub-segment that shows the students in that grade level who are on an IEP. The chart divides the sub segments with a thin white line, but I want to make the IEP subsegments a different color. How can I do this?

Kimber_0-1714409260834.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kimber ,

You can try this way.
Here is my sample data:

vjunyantmsft_0-1714440155003.png

Directly follow the screenshot you provided to create the visual object:

vjunyantmsft_1-1714440201625.png

And click here:

vjunyantmsft_2-1714440238862.png

The final output is as below:

vjunyantmsft_3-1714440270657.png

Note: However, this approach may result in a disorganized order in the visual object.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kimber ,

You can try this way.
Here is my sample data:

vjunyantmsft_0-1714440155003.png

Directly follow the screenshot you provided to create the visual object:

vjunyantmsft_1-1714440201625.png

And click here:

vjunyantmsft_2-1714440238862.png

The final output is as below:

vjunyantmsft_3-1714440270657.png

Note: However, this approach may result in a disorganized order in the visual object.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Bipin-Lala
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Kimber,

It seems like providing different colors to Details/Sub-segments in the Donut and Pie chart is not feasible at the moment. Power BI does not provide any such option to differentiate coloring at the Details level. Nor does it provide any way to use conditional formatting to do the same.

Although the following may not match the desired solution you are expecting, Power BI allows you to use Conditional Formatting at the Data Labels level. Hence you can display the data label value for each sub-segment in different colors, providing you at least some way to differentiate data.

For Example: As shown below, the data labels of each sub-segment have different colors based on the category they fall in. You can provide an additional legend for the colors in data labels to guide the users.

BipinLala_0-1714418004878.png

To achieve this, go to Visualizations Pane -> Data Labels -> Values -> Color -> Conditional Formatting

Set up the Rules for Conditional Formatting, configuring different colors based on whether the sub-segment is IEP or not.

BipinLala_1-1714418319503.png

This may help you out a bit. Also, see if you could submit the feature request for the donut chart at the Ideas forum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.