Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamWhitehouse
Frequent Visitor

Formatting custom date hierachy

Hi All,

I am using a matrix to display the total hours worked per day by resource. 

Image.png

For the columns, i have a date field and have used 4 custom fields that extract the Week, Month, Year and Day from the "Date" field and then have put them into a hieracyy.

Everything all works (As shown above), however, what i want to do is change the month from a number to text (IE 1 is January). Everytime i have tried it messes up the order of the month. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @SamWhitehouse ,

Based on the description you have made I assume you have a month number and a month name on your table make the sorting of month name by the month number column:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column#sort-using-the-sort-by-column-butto...

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
adambhappy
Resolver II
Resolver II

In your date table you should have two columns, one that represents the month in text and one that represents the number of the month.

Once this is in place you select the text column of the month, in the ribbon there is a "Sort by column"-button from which you can select the month number. When this is done the month names will be sorted according to the number.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @SamWhitehouse ,

Based on the description you have made I assume you have a month number and a month name on your table make the sorting of month name by the month number column:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column#sort-using-the-sort-by-column-butto...

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thankyou for the response! that worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.