Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MarleeBI
Regular Visitor

Format Painter for Field Columns - Is that possible?

Hello PBI Experts,

I have a PBI Table with 20+ field Columns (see below for screenshot).

I have applied successfully of - Conditional Formating on 1 of the Column

However, I would like to apply the same Color Formating to - Rest of the other 20+ field Columns.  Is that possible within PBI?

I know Format Painter works across two different visuals, but how does within same visual - different field Column work?

Thank you for your help in advance!  Have a beautiful rest of your day 👍

Format Painter For Field Data.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarleeBI ,

First of all, many thanks to  for your very quick and effective replies.

Based on the knowledge, it is impossible to apply conditional formatting to all columns directly, you should apply formatting individually for each column.

Please try the following methods as workaround:

1.Create the simple table.

vjiewumsft_0-1715826557015.png

2.Select the conditional formatting for 12 column.

vjiewumsft_1-1715826574952.png

3.Select the Rules in the Format style and set the Rules.

vjiewumsft_2-1715826583734.png

Besides, it is also able to create a measure for the column conditional formatting.

Conditional formatting = 
var colum_ = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[13])
RETURN
IF(colum_ > 13 && colum_ <= 14, "yellow",
    IF(colum_ > 14 && colum_ <= 100, "green")
)

Select the Field value in the Format style for column 13 and choose the formatting measure in the field.

vjiewumsft_3-1715826594691.png

vjiewumsft_4-1715826624791.png

You can also view the following documents to learn more about column conditional formatting.

Apply conditional table formatting in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarleeBI ,

First of all, many thanks to  for your very quick and effective replies.

Based on the knowledge, it is impossible to apply conditional formatting to all columns directly, you should apply formatting individually for each column.

Please try the following methods as workaround:

1.Create the simple table.

vjiewumsft_0-1715826557015.png

2.Select the conditional formatting for 12 column.

vjiewumsft_1-1715826574952.png

3.Select the Rules in the Format style and set the Rules.

vjiewumsft_2-1715826583734.png

Besides, it is also able to create a measure for the column conditional formatting.

Conditional formatting = 
var colum_ = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[13])
RETURN
IF(colum_ > 13 && colum_ <= 14, "yellow",
    IF(colum_ > 14 && colum_ <= 100, "green")
)

Select the Field value in the Format style for column 13 and choose the formatting measure in the field.

vjiewumsft_3-1715826594691.png

vjiewumsft_4-1715826624791.png

You can also view the following documents to learn more about column conditional formatting.

Apply conditional table formatting in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarleeBI 

Conditional formatting is applied one field/column at a time. You may raise this is an idea - https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/search-ideas/?q=conditinoal%20formatting%20format%20painter... 

Looking at the screenshot, it seems that you'll benefit from unpivoting your columns.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

You mentioned - "Conditional formatting is applied one field/column at a time"

If you don't mind, could you provide some more - step-by-step guidence - on how to apply it?

From the screenshot, How Can I apply Column 12 Color formatting logic - onto Column 13?

What I meant was you would have to open the conditional formatting dialogue box for each column/field/measure that you wanted it to be applied to - so for 20 columns that meant doing it 20 times. There is no option to select multiple fields and apply the same conditional formatting like you can in Excel.

XMLA endpoint is available only to workspaces with premium capacity enabled. And while you can use XMLA to change column formatting (like changing the data format), it cannot be used to apply conditional formatting.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Perhaps - there's XMLA backend code - that can help me apply Column 12 conditional formating - to all my other columns - Column 10-30??

That would be very helpful.  But I do not know how to do so in XMLA nor Formating Painter...
Anyone could help?

Hi @MarleeBI 

You cannot use XMLA endpoint to conditionally format columns. Also, once a change is made to a Power BI semantic model through the XMLA endpoint, it's not possible to download the model as a .pbix file from the Power BI service.

If your table is how it is shown on the screenshot from @v-jiewu-msft , I would suggest you look into unpivoting the number columns so conditional formatting is done to just a column. After unpivoting, those number columns become two - one for attribute containing the columns and another one for value containing the values of the original columns. Your table would look something like below. 

danextian_1-1715830973674.png

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unpivot-columns-power-query-0f7bad4b-9ea1-49c1-9d95-f5882... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.