Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Finding a specific word in a text string

Hi everyone,

I have a column which contains text and I need a formula which can find a specific word (Magnetite) and if it finds it in the string to then give me what I want. 

I have tried the following formula:

IF(SEARCH("Magnetite",GLF_LDG_ACC_TRANS,GLF_LDG_ACC_TRANS[NARR1]),"Customer1","Customer2")

IF(CONTAINS(TABLE,GLF_LDG_ACC_TRANS[NARR1],"Magnetite"),"Customer1","Customer2")

However it just gives me the answer as Customer2.

Here is a picture of the data:

Power BI 1.PNG

Thanks,

Giles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I assume you are doing this in a calculated column, right?  If so, there is either a bug in the software or a bug in the documentation.  The documentation says the last 2 parameters are optional, but in my experience they are required.

This should work

=
IF (
ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Magnetite", GLF_LDG_ACC_TRANS[NARR1], 1, BLANK () ) ),
"Customer1",
"Customer2"
)

assuming I have the columns right and the returned values correct.  They may be back to front or wrong

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Rodrigo
Frequent Visitor

Hi there, 

So I am having a similar situation but instead of one word I need to find multiple words. On a new column I would like to get a specific word from a text: 

Example: 

Column 1          

texttexttextUCCCalciotexttexttext

texttexttextUCCMilktexttexttext

texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttextVitamins

texttexttextWatertexttexttext

Column 2

Calcio

Milk

Vitamins

Water

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

In similar situation. Were you able to get the solution for this one,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rodrigo did you find a solution for your problem? If so, could you please help me out?

I assume you are doing this in a calculated column, right?  If so, there is either a bug in the software or a bug in the documentation.  The documentation says the last 2 parameters are optional, but in my experience they are required.

This should work

=
IF (
ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "Magnetite", GLF_LDG_ACC_TRANS[NARR1], 1, BLANK () ) ),
"Customer1",
"Customer2"
)

assuming I have the columns right and the returned values correct.  They may be back to front or wrong

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Matt,

Is there any way to add a second or subsequent keyword matches in a single statement?  

My issue is I'm trying to find a search slicer that will not just search the possible lookups in that column, but actually update data on other visuals when I search a term.  For instance, I want to find keywords in social media posts, but as I search in the slicer I want it to update impression/engagements, etc.  Your formula works great, but it only works on a single keyword.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Matt for this solution - it helped me out as well!

thanks @MattAllington your solution of adding in the optional fields worked perfectly. I had to change the customer names around however the formula gave me what I needed.

Giles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.