Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Phil123456789
Frequent Visitor

Filtering a table based on selected row

Hi,

I am struggling with a problem that may (or may not) be easy to fix. I have attached photos below.

I have a table with 3 products (real dataset has 50+) for which the user can choose an amount between 0-100% for each (in increments of 10%, so 10 options in total for each product). 

To keep things simple, I would like the user to be able to click on a row in the table (say Product B), and then choose the desired amount from the slicer (say 20%). The problem currently is that setting the value of Product B to 20% now also changes the values for Product A and C. I need to avoid this, since amounts will typically differ for each product.

Until now I have solved the issue with first a hierarchy slicer (with both "Products" and "Amount" as fields) and later a PowerApp with writeback. In addition to not being thrilled with either, both have also proven too complicated for the end user.

I would like to think that there is a simpler option as described above. Any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Table name: SampleData.

PBI Table.pngPBI Report.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Phil123456789 ,

Would you consider stitching its columns together so that the choice is clearer?

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create calculated column.

Flag =
VAR _column =
    FORMAT ( 'Table'[Amount], "Percent" )
VAR _find =
    FIND ( ".", _column )
VAR _len =
    LEN ( _column )
VAR _if =
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        _len = 5,
            LEFT ( _column, _len - _find - 2 ) & " "
                & RIGHT ( _column, 1 ),
        _len = 6,
            LEFT ( _column, _len - _find - 1 ) & " "
                & RIGHT ( _column, 1 ),
        LEFT ( _column, _len - _find ) & " "
            & RIGHT ( _column, 1 )
    )
RETURN
    'Table'[Products] & " - " & _if

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_0-1691565882610.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Liu Yang (@v-yangliu-msft),

Thanks for your response. Would prefer to avoid stitching columns together, since the real dataset will consist of roughly 50 products, which would hurt the user experience quite a bit.

Any modifications / alternatives to the above that you'd think could solve the problem in a manner closer to my initial suggestion? I'd really appreciate if the slicer could consist of just the %-intervals and nothing else!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.