Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lancekam
Frequent Visitor

Filter Based of Filter Table (List of Yes/No That Can Be Check, Each Different Column of Start Table

Hello,

I have 19 columns that are Yes/No Columns in my original table, that I want to be able to slice on each.  I did not want each to be it's own slicer, so I created a "Filter Table", a table that can be put into a Hieracy Slicer, so anyone can expand which column they want to select.  I have it set up where it will display a card, showing which columns are sliced, and if both "Yes" and "No" are selected from the same column, it ignores it (don't ask).  I can also easily get is "Yes" or "No" selected for each category.  Where I am stuck is, without my Calculate statement being gigantic, is it possible to Filter my original Table based off what is selected from my new Filter Table?

So, for example.  Say I have "A", "B", and "C" as Yes/No options.  If the following is selected:

lancekam_1-1646669476464.png

I want to perform all of my measures for any location where "B" is "YES" and "C" is "NO".
Here is a link to an example PBIX.

FilterEX Google Drive PBIX 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lancekam ,

I have used your measure and duplicate it for A and C as well:

A Filter = 
IF(SEARCH("A", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0, IF(SEARCH("Is A", [CatFilters], 1,0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is A]) = "Yes", 1, IF(SEARCH("Is NOT A", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is A]) = "No", 1,0)),1)
B Filter = 
IF(SEARCH("B", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0, IF(SEARCH("Is B", [CatFilters], 1,0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is B]) = "Yes", 1, IF(SEARCH("Is NOT B", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is B]) = "No", 1,0)),1)
C Filter = 
IF(SEARCH("C", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0, IF(SEARCH("Is C", [CatFilters], 1,0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is X]) = "Yes", 1, IF(SEARCH("Is NOT C", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is X]) = "No", 1,0)),1)

And then apply them to filter on visual pane, set as " is 1":

Eyelyn9_0-1646899902898.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lancekam ,

I have used your measure and duplicate it for A and C as well:

A Filter = 
IF(SEARCH("A", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0, IF(SEARCH("Is A", [CatFilters], 1,0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is A]) = "Yes", 1, IF(SEARCH("Is NOT A", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is A]) = "No", 1,0)),1)
B Filter = 
IF(SEARCH("B", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0, IF(SEARCH("Is B", [CatFilters], 1,0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is B]) = "Yes", 1, IF(SEARCH("Is NOT B", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is B]) = "No", 1,0)),1)
C Filter = 
IF(SEARCH("C", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0, IF(SEARCH("Is C", [CatFilters], 1,0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is X]) = "Yes", 1, IF(SEARCH("Is NOT C", [CatFilters], 1, 0) <> 0 && SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Is X]) = "No", 1,0)),1)

And then apply them to filter on visual pane, set as " is 1":

Eyelyn9_0-1646899902898.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lancekam
Frequent Visitor

Well, I came up with a solution that seems to work.

So I already had the measure that listed the filters turned on.  I just used an if with a Search and SelectedValue to get it to filter.
From my example, the code ends up looking like:

B Filter =

Well, this works if I am just using the Base table, but if I try any related tables and try to do counts/sums, it fails.  So back to looking for suggestions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.