Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

svgeiger

Field Parameters - removing options from slicer

I am using a field parameter to create a slicer. In a few of the categories, there are options I want to prevent people from being able to filter to. For example, We are looking for students in our school district that are Student's With Disabilities (SWD). When we select the SWD column in the parameter, the two values shown for that field are "SWD" and BLANK. I want to remove the ability to select the BLANK option (which it automatically defaults to). I do not want to remove the data of the students who are marked as BLANK, but I do not want schools to be able to select it.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 140247.png

5 REPLIES 5
svgeiger

When I did not blank nothing changed, so I had to use not empyt. But when I do that, I lose data still.

Before advanced filtering

svgeiger_0-1714070715288.png

after using advanced filtering

svgeiger_1-1714071416323.png

sayaliredij
Super User
Super User

Hi @svgeiger ,

You can use advanced filter on the subgroup slicer and make condition as "Is not blank" and you can obtain desired result.

Please check attached power bi file

Thanks,

Sayali Redij

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Also, you are not using a field parameter. Ech of my 4 categories are different columns, which is why your solution does not work.

svgeiger

When you do that, it will remove data which impacts other options of the field parameter. 

for example at one school, when I filter out the blank, the only options shown under ethnicity become "A" and "W", but if I remove the filter I see "A", "B", "H", "I", "M", and "W".

so that does not work.

samratpbi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi, from the 2nd slicer, you can filter out the blank values from Filter pane. In that way, you will not get any blank.
Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.