Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Meeskass
Helper I
Helper I

Field Parameters nothing selected, show blank on a visual

Hi

I seem to have run into a wall when working with Field Parameters and allowing the users to choose their own columns in a table.

I have a table with handful of Field Parameter groups i.e. Measures, Product, Location etc., and Field Parameters themselves as slicers.
Usuall when nothing is selected in the Field Parameter, the table displays all the parameter values. How can I make it in a way that it simply displays a blank table, when none of the fields in field parameters is selected?
I did try to add an 'empty' field into each of the Field Parameter groups, but now the slicers have an extra 'empty' option which confuses the user.

Thanks!

Screenshots ↓↓↓

Meeskass_0-1671026279703.pngnothing selected

Meeskass_1-1671026343088.pngusing blank parameters. However when I choose blank parameters in all of my slicers, then table displays and error, because it has no values.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Meeskass ,

Referring to this document, the field parameters have certain restrictions:

• There's no way for your report users to select the "none" or no fields option. Selecting no fields in the slicer or filter card is the same as selecting all fields.

You can post your idea to Ideas . https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

You can refer to the following posts for solutions to use slicers instead:

Solved: Dynamic Table Columns With Slicer Using Field Para... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Show blank when nothing is selected in the slicers - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Visual blank until filter selected - Microsoft Power BI Community

How to dynamically switch between measures in Power BI visuals with Field ParametersEditions (endjin...

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
hourir2
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi all,
To display a complately empty table 
1. Create a measure: Blank measure = Blank()

2. Add blank measure to your field parameter under option "None" ie 

("None",NAMEOF('Measure Table'[Blank Measure]),3) (3 here is whatever number is last in your field parameter
3. When you select "none" blank table shows. 

Clever trick is to cover the "none" option so user cant see it in the slicer and have a bookmark & button to "Clear field selection" or something like that
RickSchultz
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks, Jmolina!  Solved a problem for me today.

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Meeskass ,

Referring to this document, the field parameters have certain restrictions:

• There's no way for your report users to select the "none" or no fields option. Selecting no fields in the slicer or filter card is the same as selecting all fields.

You can post your idea to Ideas . https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

You can refer to the following posts for solutions to use slicers instead:

Solved: Dynamic Table Columns With Slicer Using Field Para... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Show blank when nothing is selected in the slicers - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Visual blank until filter selected - Microsoft Power BI Community

How to dynamically switch between measures in Power BI visuals with Field ParametersEditions (endjin...

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Neeko,

Thanks for clarifying the limitations of the Field Parameters. I will definately look into the links that you posted!

Hi Meeskass, i find a solution, you must create a Column, i called NONE = " ", this must create a empty column at the origin table, then in the parameter fields leave it selectioned. that works for me.

Cheers.

Hi Jmolina, could you maybe explain with a screenshot? I do not understand how this solution is different from what Meeskass does because you also show an extra 'empty' option in the slicer, no?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.