Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DreDre
Helper II
Helper II

Extracting the last date in a column based on the data in another using a measure

I have a table with one column containing repeating values or "Source" and another column containing just the “Date” for each record. I am trying to display the first/last date for each “Source”, but when I use the following formula I get a date in the middle of the range. I am newer to PBI so any help would be greatly appreciated! Below is a sample of the data I am talking about.

Date - End = DATEVALUE(Calculate(Max('Data Source'[Date])))

Date - End = max('1 Date Source'[Date])

SourceDateType
Month 11/12/2020AOH
Month 11/13/2020AGN
Month 11/14/2020QXP
Month 11/15/2020AOH
Month 11/16/2020QXP
Month 33/23/2020AGN
Month 33/24/2020QXP
Month 33/25/2020QXP
Month 33/26/2020AOH

same for Date - Start, just using Min

How would I say that Month 1 was from 1/12/2020 – 1/16/2020 and month 3 was 3/23/2020 – 3/26/2020? I tried using a table visualization and adding the Values of “Source”, the measure I made “Date – Start” and “Date – End”, but I am getting Month 1 1/15 – 1/15 and month 3 as 3/24 – 3/24.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DreDre - Perhaps I am not understanding what you are going for here. See attached PBIX, is that what you want?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DreDre - You should just need to do MIN and MAX assuming that your column is really a date column and not text for example. 

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler - When using the Min/Max, it ends up pulling a date in the table that matches the "Source" but is the same date for the Start/End which is where I am hitting the wall. The column is filtered as a date which I thought would be the fix, but I am still stumped. 

@DreDre - Perhaps I am not understanding what you are going for here. See attached PBIX, is that what you want?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler I went to create a sample of what I was trying to explain and your right it looks like the min/max do work exactly as they should have so there is a problem with my underlying data that I need to root out. I appreciate your quick response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.