Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract Excel workbook filename

Hi everyone. First post with a new account.

I'm trying to extract the filename of an Excel workbook in Power Query and place into a column. Feels like this should be possible, as it's there in the 'Name' field of the Source data.

To expand a little more .. I have mutiple workbooks, all in the same format, that I'd like to import and merge into one table. Before I merge them, I need a way of labelling each query so I now which is which.

Thanks for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I believe that you don't wnat to merge but append all workbooks, the best option is to use the From Folder option that creates a list of all your files in the folder and a function for you to use a file as a demo to make the treatment of the data, when you finalize the treatement you will have a column wiht the name of the file that you can then delete or keep.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-combine-binaries

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I believe that you don't wnat to merge but append all workbooks, the best option is to use the From Folder option that creates a list of all your files in the folder and a function for you to use a file as a demo to make the treatment of the data, when you finalize the treatement you will have a column wiht the name of the file that you can then delete or keep.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-combine-binaries

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for that.

Initially that didn't work but it was because the sheets in each workbook had different names. It brings the data in now.

Is it possible to apply the same tranformations to each workbook before they are combined?

Cheers

Hi @Anonymous ,

The concept behind this way of treat the data is exactly that, to have one file as standard transofrmation and all of the transformation will be applied to all files.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.