Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VOx15
Helper I
Helper I

Expanding and collapsing values in a matrix

Hello, 

I have a matrix in Power Bi that has rows by a certain category and column as another category as well. And then i have 4 measures in my values. 

Is there a way to show only one measure and then collapse the rest?

The matrix is hard to read with all four measures. It would make it easier if they just saw the most impartant measure and if they need more details they can expand and see the other measures. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VOx15 ,

Sorry for that only the outermost field will have (+) (-) signs. The sign only show in the left.

So we create the slicer to control the Measure which you want to show.

expanding1.jpg

expanding2.jpg

Or you can put the measure column to first row, but we think it is not what you want.

expanding3.jpg

Perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner : https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VOx15 ,

Sorry for that only the outermost field will have (+) (-) signs. The sign only show in the left.

So we create the slicer to control the Measure which you want to show.

expanding1.jpg

expanding2.jpg

Or you can put the measure column to first row, but we think it is not what you want.

expanding3.jpg

Perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner : https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@VOx15 , Collapse of measure is not possible unless you convert them into dimension values.

An approach like this topic in the past:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Matrix-Display-Values-above-Columns/td-p/256905

or you can create a measure slicer https://radacad.com/change-the-column-or-measure-value-in-a-power-bi-visual-by-selection-of-the-slic...

nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You can add +/- expander to crosstab rows, but can't add it to crosstab columns.
Would bookmarks help in your case?
You can create one main crosstab with main measure and add a button besides. Clicking on this button detailed crosstab (with all measures) will "replace" main crosstab. And on this new view you will add another button which can return users to main crosstab.

Crosstab has option to drill down/up, but using bookmarks you can make it much more convenient for use.

I still need to show the main cross tab. Currently have the matrix set up like this, where the values show on rows

matrix.PNG

I would like to only show measure one then have a + to show the rest of the measures. Is that possible?

@nandic  @amitchandak 

Hi @VOx15 ,

We need to create a measure table and a new table, then create a measure to meet your requirement.

1. Create a measure table using Enter Data.

expand1.jpg

2. Then create a new table using crossjoin function.

Table 2 = CROSSJOIN('Table','Measure Table')

expand2.jpg

3. At last, we can create a measure and put it in Values in a matrix like the following screenshot.

Measure = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    MAX('Table 2'[Column1])="Measure 1",CALCULATE([Measure 1],FILTER('Table','Table'[City]=MAX('Table 2'[City]) && 'Table'[Town]=MAX('Table 2'[Town]))),
    MAX('Table 2'[Column1])="Measure 2",CALCULATE([Measure 2],FILTER('Table','Table'[City]=MAX('Table 2'[City]) && 'Table'[Town]=MAX('Table 2'[Town]))),
    MAX('Table 2'[Column1])="Measure 3",CALCULATE([Measure 3],FILTER('Table','Table'[City]=MAX('Table 2'[City]) && 'Table'[Town]=MAX('Table 2'[Town]))))

expand3.jpg

expand4.jpg

expand5.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that you have shared?

Best regards,

BTW, pbix as attached.

Yes! I was looking for something like that. Is there a way to have the (+ ) and (-) sign next to the measures instead of the city? 
@v-zhenbw-msft 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.